PDA

View Full Version : Curved parts for a bench

Tom Andersen
05-22-2008, 5:24 PM
Hi Guys, I wish to make a copy of the bench shown in the attached photos. What's the best way to make the curved parts?
Thanks,
Tom

Adam Cavaliere
05-22-2008, 5:36 PM
From my limited knowledge:

Create a template out of MDF with a bandsaw and sand it up smooth.

Then use a router to cut out the real pieces with the template you first created.

Jamie Buxton
05-22-2008, 6:18 PM
I'd use a bandsaw or a good saber saw, and clean up with a sander. I'd make one part, and trace it on to the stock to make its mirror image.

Alan Tolchinsky
05-22-2008, 6:56 PM
I'm with Jamie here. I'd make a template as suggested only if you're making more than one either now or in the future. Templates are cool in that each part is an exact replica of the original.

Jim Becker
05-22-2008, 8:06 PM
Rough cut with a band saw or jig saw and then pattern route to get to the final profile. But IMHO, there is no harm in making an MDF template for even a one-off project as it's often a necessary means to the end for what you want to accomplish. You can futz with the cheaper material all you need to before you commit to the expensive stuff.

Jamie Buxton
05-22-2008, 9:12 PM
It is tough to tell from the photo, but the arms look like they're 2" wide or so. Pattern-routing can get a little too exciting with a bit that long. Tip the router just a bit, and bad things happen. Hence my previous suggestions.

Jim Becker
05-22-2008, 10:08 PM
Jamie you pattern route about half way, flip it over and finish it with a bottom bearing flush trim bit using the previously pattern routed surface as your guide...

glenn bradley
05-22-2008, 10:48 PM
What Jim said. Works like a charm.

Tom Andersen
05-23-2008, 12:43 AM
It is tough to tell from the photo, but the arms look like they're 2" wide or so. Pattern-routing can get a little too exciting with a bit that long. Tip the router just a bit, and bad things happen. Hence my previous suggestions.

Yes, they are about 2" wide, so flipping on the router is probably needed. Thanks for all of the good input!