PDA

View Full Version : Best way to move a RAS

Frank Castleberry
05-22-2008, 4:54 PM
I just purchased an Original 3512 RAS at auction and need to move it. Any suggestions on pallet construction, mounting and loading would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to follow up a good buy with an extended hospital stay and recovery period:D I looked at using the rigging service that is onsite but they charge as much as I paid for the saw.

Greg Sznajdruk
05-22-2008, 5:27 PM
If you do move tha RAS in an open trailer MAKE SURE TO TIE IT DOWN. Turns out the RAS is top heavy and the first corner will toss it out on the highway..

As me how I kown. Go ahead and ask me.

Greg

Shawn Honeychurch
05-22-2008, 5:29 PM
If you do move tha RAS in an open trailer MAKE SURE TO TIE IT DOWN. Turns out the RAS is top heavy and the first corner will toss it out on the highway..

As me how I kown. Go ahead and ask me.

Greg

Don't need to ask, but do ya have pics???? :D

Greg Sznajdruk
05-22-2008, 6:04 PM
No pictures. I was pretty PO'd at the time.

Greg

Bruce Wrenn
05-22-2008, 11:33 PM
I just purchased an Original 3512 RAS at auction and need to move it. Any suggestions on pallet construction, mounting and loading would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to follow up a good buy with an extended hospital stay and recovery period:D I looked at using the rigging service that is onsite but they charge as much as I paid for the saw.I would build some kind of support that motor could be lowered onto. This would take a lot of pressure off the arm of saw. If it is on legs, then they will have to be removed. Here, rental places have a motor hoist that can be pulled behind a car, just like a trailer. Rent one and get a friend to help you. Lifting saw by the BASE, not column, remove the legs. Back trailer under saw. Strap securely onto trailer, with column facing front of the trailer. Remember that in a sudden stop, saw will want to come forward on trailer. Secure by either blocking, or strapping. Don't worry too much about saw going out back of trailer, as you won't be starting this fast. Drive carefully and have friend bring motor lift home. Reverse procedures.

Gene Michael
05-22-2008, 11:52 PM
My old Craftsman has a screw at the end of the track that holds the saw/motor. When moving the unit, I take out the screw and remove the saw/motor, wrapping it in a moving blanket (the blade has already been removed). Next, I remove the cutting platform. This requires realigning everything after the move, but makes lifting the unit easier and prevents damage to the platform. Hope this helps. Enjoy your RAS!!!

Jesse Bushman
05-23-2008, 10:26 AM
I've got an old DeWalt 3525 RAS and it's a heavy beast.

They're not hard to take apart into manageable chunks, though. You can take the cap off the end of the arm and slide the motor out and you can probably move that on your own, just lifting it by the yoke. The cap on the top of the post can be removed and the arm popped off the post (though that might need a deadblow or wooden mallet to persuade it to move upward) and the post can be unbolted from the table and moved independently. I've moved each of those pieces on my own, but it would be easier to do it with one other person. I would definitely be cognizant of my back and legs while lifting those chunks of iron around too, just to be sure I didn't overstrain anything.