PDA

View Full Version : Off Centre Yew Candlestick

David Newson
05-22-2008, 3:35 PM
My first try at off centre work,turning and a Yew candlestick which should have resembled a swan, but I think the swan flew away before I finished the turning , this was turned about 1 year ago and all my knuckle joints,wrist and elbow joint still remember like it was yesterday, sorry about the rough old candle its all I could find, and thanks for looking.

It measures 9.5 " x about 3" and the base 4"

Bernie Weishapl
05-22-2008, 4:50 PM
Great looking piece. I hear ya on the joints.

Steve Schlumpf
05-22-2008, 5:32 PM
David - that's impressive! Normally when I see off-center turnings there is but a slight variation between elements - your's is the first I have seen that would make folks ask how you turned it! And, like Bernie already stated - I hear ya on the joints!

David Newson
05-22-2008, 6:57 PM
Thanks for looking everyone , Steve this was originally a copy or I should say a feeble attempt on my behalf of my former professional instructor Tobias Kaye work for advanced turners and was on one of his dvd's called spindle turning for the adventurous, hopefully give me a few day and I'll get a picture of the dvd to show you what it should have looked like it, in the meantime you may find it on his web site.

http://www.tobiaskaye.co.uk/

Steve Schlumpf
05-22-2008, 7:09 PM
David - according to the website - your Swan looks just like the original! Nice work!

Ben Gastfriend
05-22-2008, 8:24 PM
Looks good to me... I love the bark around the base.

Ron McKinley
05-23-2008, 6:04 PM
Beautiful piece! The bark on the base really sets it off. ...Ron

Paul Engle
05-23-2008, 7:30 PM
Yep .... I got ur joints. nice work, and as above , the bark really sets it off.Nice finish to boot.

Mitchell Cholewinski
05-24-2008, 1:41 AM
David
Nice turning, very nice. Not many turners will try this type of turning but, again I am interested in this type of turning. I am seriously considering buying The Sorby Eccentric chuck. Everyone I speak to is trying to discourage me when I mention getting the chuck, even the guy at woodcraft. Can I ask, how you turned this one of yours? Do you have the chuck or how do you do the off center turning? You mentioned your joints remember doing this kind of turning? Does that mean that your joints etc got sore? That might keep me from buying if this is the case, because I have arthritis bad in my elbows and wrists. Keeps me sore all the time. Mitch

keith zimmerman
05-24-2008, 12:39 PM
David, a very nice piece of work.

Personally, I would categorize this as a multi-center candlestick rather than off-center. To me, an off-center piece is where you slide the center sideways, maintaining the original center axis. It appears that you adjusted the center on both ends, thus changing the axis and creating this lovely eccentric turning.

Good work.

keithz