PDA

View Full Version : Sanding stain

Byron Trantham
05-22-2008, 3:08 PM
I have a piano bench that was stained with a rather dark stain - almost black. The customer wants it back to the original wood or near as possible. Is this a realistic expectation? I've sanded a section and as stain does, it appears that it has penetrated fairly deep. Any suggestions?

Steve Schoene
05-22-2008, 4:09 PM
It's going to be hard, and you may find that the wood chosen to be stained dark is not well matched.

Your best hope is to start with paint stripper. Methylene Chloride is the strongest, but be sure to have serious ventilation, not just an open window or two. Put it on, cover with plastic to keep it from drying out, and then scrape it off. It may take several applications to penetrate, but it nay still not get everything without serious sanding that requires lots of care to avoid getting surfaces un-level.

Howard Acheson
05-22-2008, 6:21 PM
The piano benches I have seen are made with pretty junky wood. After all, when they are coated with a stain that's almost opaque, there is no need for good wood. As Steve says, it may even be made with woods that are a different color.

Methylene chloride would be the best bet. Read and follow the directions. Once you have all the clear coat and stain off, you may still have some residual color. If so, you may be able to get it out by using a chlorine bleach (fresh Clorox) mixed 50/50 with distilled water. Sponge or brush it on and keep it wet for 10 minutes or so. Then rinse it off.

You will have to do some sanding both to get the last of the color out and to flatten the grain raising. Start with 120 paper, move to 150 and finish with 180 then hand sand with 180 sanding in the direction of the grain. At that point you should be ready for whatever finish you want to apply.

Gary Breckenridge
05-22-2008, 11:21 PM
This sounds like a job you don't want. At best this job will come out needing a new coat of dark stain.:cool:

Byron Trantham
05-23-2008, 10:15 AM
This sounds like a job you don't want. At best this job will come out needing a new coat of dark stain.:cool:

Ah, a man with a plan! I called the client this morning and explained that the "black" was not paint like they thought but stain. It has been agreed that I wand it down and use Jacobean stain (almost black) to even out the appearance and then clear coat it. Problem solved. Thanks for your suggestion.