PDA

View Full Version : Be Careful Out There

Glenn Hodges
05-22-2008, 2:11 PM
This time of the year when we are out in the woods getting those logs for bowl blanks it pays dividends to be careful to watch where we step. These 2 were killed near my home. The one on the right was killed by a timber cruiser that almost stepped on him. As a reference the guy holding them is 6 foot tall. Be careful out there

Pete Jordan
05-22-2008, 2:14 PM
That's why I live in the north! Yikes!

Stan Terrell
05-22-2008, 6:44 PM
Glenn does not say so but these appear to be Eastern Diamondback Rattlers.

Stan

David Newson
05-22-2008, 7:07 PM
After doing a fly drive holiday in your country for seven years on the trot, and not ever seeing one, myself and wife was quite upset because we never ever saw one, but after seeing your picture I think I'm glad we didn't come across one now, thanks for posting.

Russ Sears
05-22-2008, 7:20 PM
Yes, those are Eastern Diamondbacks. There was probably enough venom there to kill off a good portion of the Turner's Forum!

Paul Douglass
05-22-2008, 7:27 PM
Those would make a whole lot of neat pen blanks. Our little prairie rattlers wouldn't even make a good snack for one of those!

Bill Wyko
05-22-2008, 8:28 PM
:DTastes like chicken:D Same thing out here. It's rattlesnake season.

Ron Journeau
05-22-2008, 9:38 PM
All of a sudden, shoveling snow until april ain't so bad:eek:

Ken Fitzgerald
05-22-2008, 10:49 PM
Glenn...while stationed at NAS Meridian, MS...I worked Air Traffic Control Maintenance. The precision approach radar is located about 2000' from the approach end of the runways there. The Crash Crews would sit out there and kill rattlers like that frequently. I think the one's they got there were the timber rattlers. It amazed me how big in diameter the rattlers get in the South compared to the ones I used to see as a kid in WY, CO and UT.

Dennis Puskar
05-22-2008, 10:59 PM
I agree Ron don't need those critters.

Dennis

Bernie Weishapl
05-22-2008, 11:05 PM
Yep be careful. I killed a Western Diamondback a year ago. It had 16 rattles and a button, 5 ft 11 inches long. He was under one of our FAA buildings which sits in the middle of the pasture. I had vision of coming out of the little building and him laying on the steps. Glad I saw him before I went in. Snakes don't bother me if I can see them but this bad boy scared the #@$% out of me. Not only was he great BBQ eating but is now a hat band and belt for my two brothers.

Jeff Mohr
05-22-2008, 11:22 PM
As a reference the guy holding them is 6 foot tall.

Just thought I'd mention that tanned skins stretch a good bunch once they are off the snake. 4-5 feet is the normal with 6 foot being rare. Then again, the record is 8 feet! ;)

Rasmus Petersen
05-23-2008, 12:55 AM
The biggest snakes in denmark are "hugorm" very dangorus... if you get stung by a grown example it will most definitely sting like getting stung by a bee... hihihihi and itīs the only one...

curtis rosche
05-23-2008, 7:28 AM
i almost stepped on a diamond back last year on the appilation trail, it was only a little one though, then about 6 miles later almost stepped on a rattler than was about 4 ft long, then when we got to our sight we saw a 6ft black rat snake, one of the fathers with us tried to catch that one

Glenn Hodges
05-23-2008, 9:27 AM
My Gerrman Shepherd, Buster, had a 4.5 ft. timber rattler in a coil in my yard last year. I killed it to keep Buster from getting bitten. The timber rattler is all I have ever seen on my farm. The largest one had 15 rattles. I wanted to alert you all they are crawling, and they will strike if they are rilled.

Allen Neighbors
05-23-2008, 9:38 PM
Snakes alive, Ken!! Was that precision radar an AN FPN/40? :D

Claude Arragon
05-24-2008, 12:12 PM
I'm so happy to live near by Venice (Italy).
But these skins... I know for sure what I could do with them