PDA

View Full Version : Hawthorn Bowl with carved Rim

David Newson
05-22-2008, 1:00 PM
This was made from a piece of Hawthorn found submerged in a ditch of water, it was left there by tree cutters after clearing the local overhead power lines, I guess they could bother to remove it, looking at the cuts on other trees it could have been laying in the water about 9 - 12 months, its taken a couple of years to dry out, but there was one bit that was rotten and spit badly, I didn't spend much time making the bowl as I original thought it may split in halve, during turning I had to apply a bit of super glue and black powder to the rim just to make a complete rim and for safety.

It measures 6.5 inches by 3" it was finish with several coats of pure tung oil and finally rub down with 0000 steel wool, and carved with a proxon carver, not very elegant but I sometimes tend to do one off things just for the fun of it.

Steve Schlumpf
05-22-2008, 1:40 PM
David - great looking little bowl! Love the color of the wood! Nice form and carving! Sure has a lot of charactor! Thanks for posting!

Bernie Weishapl
05-22-2008, 2:03 PM
The bowl is a beauty. Really like the rim treatment.

Bruce Pennell
05-22-2008, 2:37 PM
Dave very nice, and I agree its fun just to chuck up and go for it.

Clara Koss
05-22-2008, 3:10 PM
This was made from a piece of Hawthorn found submerged in a ditch of water, it was left there by tree cutters after clearing the local overhead power lines, I guess they could bother to remove it, looking at the cuts on other trees it could have been laying in the water about 9 - 12 months, its taken a couple of years to dry out, but there was one bit that was rotten and spit badly, I didn't spend much time making the bowl as I original thought it may split in halve, during turning I had to apply a bit of super glue and black powder to the rim just to make a complete rim and for safety.

It measures 6.5 inches by 3" it was finish with several coats of pure tung oil and finally rub down with 0000 steel wool, and carved with a proxon carver, not very elegant but I sometimes tend to do one off things just for the fun of it.
every time i look at work done by members it's art!!!this bowl is sooooo not the norm...very very artsy and unique...love it...:p

David Newson
05-22-2008, 6:21 PM
Thanks everyone for looking and their comments, and as Bruce said its fun just to chuck it up and go for it, I believe if you don't experiment you don't never know what works and what does not,and you never know it may surprise you and work out good or not so good, but the waiting to see the outcome is still the prize, happy turning.

Ben Gastfriend
05-22-2008, 8:28 PM
Nice bowl. The rim detail is spot on and the bark adds a nice detail. Good form as well.

Scott Hubl
05-23-2008, 2:26 AM
Looks good Dave,
I like the rustic charactor and the bark inclusion.

curtis rosche
05-23-2008, 7:24 AM
thats neat. what type of black powder?! that could blow up!

Glenn Hodges
05-23-2008, 9:29 AM
Good find, good looking wood, and I like what you did with it.

Paul Engle
05-23-2008, 7:26 PM
David very nice , I think you got it spot on for sure. You know , sometimes these turn out wayyyyy better than you expect . the proxon does a nice job , did you use the index on your lathe or just tape it and mark the divisions? Great job no matter. oh ... and the wood looks pretty good also :rolleyes:;) :D

Nathan Hawkes
05-24-2008, 12:08 AM
Very nice. Maybe someday I'll have the patience for carving. Until then, I'll leave it to the experts. You did a great job, David.