PDA

View Full Version : New Table Saw Tips

tom holton
05-22-2008, 11:38 AM
I am taking delivery of my new Steel City 3HP tomorrow. For some reason, it feels like I want to take more time and be much more exact with setting up this "Big Boy Saw" as compared to my last Ryobi BT3100.

Can you all give me some tips on the setup? I'm planning on following directions, but other than that, I have no tricks up my sleeve. More importantly, what to do after its set up. ie, wax this, dry lube this, verify this, etc...

Also, it might be as simple as wood shims, but what is advised to level the saw on my slightly sloping garage floor?

Do i need a specific straight edge or will a good level do to check wing alignment?

Lots of questions and I dont even have it yet.

much thanks,

Tom

Ben Cadotte
05-22-2008, 4:35 PM
A decent straight edge will work fine. If your not sure how flat it is. Check one side then flip it over.

Useually when I get new tools that are partially assembled I like to go over some of the parts already together. Just make sure things are tight. Found loose items on more than a couple tools. And of course take the time and make sure the blade and top are aligned propperly.

Congrats on the new saw.

glenn bradley
05-22-2008, 4:54 PM
I check all reasonably reachable nuts, bolts, etc. I do level my immobile tools with gravity. So far the provided adjustable feet have been adequate. I used a good quality 24" builders level to set up my wings. I need to do them a little better but they are certainly good enough that I keep putting it off and keep building stuff.

I clean off all bare surfaces with mineral spirits and apply Johnson's Paste Wax. I re-wax at least monthly. I use a Teflon spray-on dry lube on trunnion guides and gears. I really shouldn't go on too much because whether you use T-9, JPW or some voodoo anti-rust concoction will depend on your climate, your shop and your habits.

Enjoy that saw!!!

tom holton
05-22-2008, 7:46 PM
Thanks Glenn and Ben. I have a tendency to rush things like this, so the more I plan on doing now, the better Ill be.

Tom