PDA

View Full Version : Workbench update

Michael Hammers
05-22-2008, 11:35 AM
It has been awhile since I posted anything on the bench so I thought I would throw a few photo's up after finally figuring out a new computer and camera.

These are a few shots of the base. I have cut the tenon's on the post for the feet and am cleaning them up.

I had to re-do the top piece the bench rests on. I wont bore you with the details of my idiocy :o

It turned out to be a fortuitous mistake though, because the top piece was larger than the foot piece, as you can see in the pic.

The new piece is the same dimmensions as the feet. I think aesthetically this will look better and I still have three inches of meat for the mortise and tenon.

Also is a shot of the big AM rails. I had to cut a check out of the center of one of the pieces but still ended up with about 7" of width. They are 3" and some change thick. I matched the grain pretty good when gluing back up, it looks nice. They are ready to have the shoulders marked and then to decide on how I am going to proceed. I also have to bore them for the tusk tenon yet.
I also will be marking out the mortise on the base posts for the rails to go thru.

Rob Luter
05-22-2008, 3:56 PM
I had to re-do the top piece the bench rests on. I wont bore you with the details of my idiocy :o

I can relate to that feeling. I'm finishing up my bench this weekend (pics to follow on Sunday or Monday) and made a couple of bonehead mistakes. All in all I'm feeling good about how things are turning out. I'm sure your efforts will result in something you'll be proud of too. Just remember - if the mistake doesn't show, it never happened :D.