PDA

View Full Version : Wind!!

Eddie Watkins
05-22-2008, 11:13 AM
Has anybody else had as much wind this year as we have here in Oklahoma City? The wind is supposed to blow at 30+mph for the next three days. It has been blowing since March. It is always windy here but this has been the worst year I can remember in my lifetime. I'm ready for it to stop.

Eddie

Lee Schierer
05-22-2008, 12:01 PM
A sure way to get the wind to stop is to pruchase a windmill for generationg power for your house. It works every time from what I hear. :D

Tom Veatch
05-22-2008, 12:20 PM
Eddie, that's just all that air that went through here this past winter going home to Nebraska.

Richard M. Wolfe
05-22-2008, 12:41 PM
Hasn't anyone told you it's an election year? :D

Middle of Texas here....and I'm looking outsid at the limbs on the pecan trees waving around. Windier than usual but I don't know that it's one of the windiest. I do remember the drought of the mid-fifties.....not well as it was early on for me, but one of the things I remember most was wind and dust.

Clara Koss
05-22-2008, 3:13 PM
Has anybody else had as much wind this year as we have here in Oklahoma City? The wind is supposed to blow at 30+mph for the next three days. It has been blowing since March. It is always windy here but this has been the worst year I can remember in my lifetime. I'm ready for it to stop.

Eddie
send some breeze to south fla...we're at 98* already!!!!

Jim Becker
05-22-2008, 3:43 PM
A sure way to get the wind to stop is to pruchase a windmill for generationg power for your house. It works every time from what I hear.

Makes sense.

And there have been trucks rolling by here for months with pieces of wind generation towers. Yesterday, three "blades" went by...my are those things big!

Richard M. Wolfe
05-22-2008, 3:53 PM
Jim, I heard on the news a couple days ago T. Boone Pickens is going to put in the world's largest wind turbine farm and it's going to be in Pampa, up in the Texas panhandle. Supposedly funding it from his own resources.

A few years ago I had a chance to get fairly close to several of them running at a pretty extensive array on the southern tip of the big island of Hawaii. Those things are 1) big 2) noisy.

Eddie Watkins
05-22-2008, 4:34 PM
If I'm out very long, it feels like I've been sand blasted, I need to try something. Maybe I'll try one of the small ones they use to pump water with, the cost is a little more in my price range:o.
Some of the blades went through here about a month ago , They are so big it takes a minute for it to register what they are.
T Boone Pickens is also building a pipeline from somewhere to the DFW area to ensure they don't have a water problem like Atalnta has or had.
He also gave Oklahoma State University $100,000,000 yesterday to fund endowed chairs and professorships.
BTW, Jim Becker, you really clean up good.:) Nice picture.

Eddie

Frank Guerin
05-22-2008, 7:39 PM
Look up Corpus Christi Texas. If it was not for the humidity it would be a convection oven. And the touist keep comming.

Dewey Torres
05-22-2008, 7:43 PM
Tornadoes here just north of Denver!

Dewey

Lee Schierer
05-23-2008, 9:55 AM
Jim, I heard on the news a couple days ago T. Boone Pickens is going to put in the world's largest wind turbine farm and it's going to be in Pampa, up in the Texas panhandle. Supposedly funding it from his own resources.

A few years ago I had a chance to get fairly close to several of them running at a pretty extensive array on the southern tip of the big island of Hawaii. Those things are 1) big 2) noisy.

The newer technology with slow moving large props has pretty much eliminated most of the noise and concerns about bird kills. Here's a pretty decent report on a wind farm in New York State Wind Farm (http://www.fairwindvermont.org/sources/ClaireTraskReport.pdf)

Ken Fitzgerald
05-23-2008, 10:46 AM
Wind farms are quite common along the desert in SE Washington. As we drive from Lewiston to Portland we have one stretch, not too far from where Creeker Paul Douglass lives...several miles of wind mills generating power. They line a ridge just off the edge of the flat lands.

Jim Becker
05-23-2008, 12:10 PM
There is a big one up in NE PA on Farview Mountain in Wayne County. The vanes are visible from the (dumpy) cabin my parents rent for a month in the summer on Elk Lake. Those pieces going by on the road really put the size of the windmills in perspective for me...

Dennis Peacock
05-23-2008, 2:44 PM
A sure way to get the wind to stop is to pruchase a windmill for generationg power for your house. It works every time from what I hear. :D

LOL.!!!! That's kinda like it raining EVERY TIME we go camping. Lesson learned, now we never go. ;)

Greg Heppeard
05-24-2008, 9:55 AM
LOL.!!!! That's kinda like it raining EVERY TIME we go camping. Lesson learned, now we never go. ;)

OK Dennis, let's go camping this summer when we really need the rain. Someplace close to T town