PDA

View Full Version : Router Table Top Gloat!

Troy Cleckler
05-21-2008, 11:00 PM
Granite has been talked about before as table tops but it's the price of granite and milling that makes it unreasonable. Well, heres my gloat. I have a customer thats became a good friend and when I was talking about it to him he said that he might be able to help me out. His boss also has a granite business. We went and talked to him about what I was wanting and boy did he help me out. The total cost of the granite and labor to mill it........NADA! :D That's right $0.00 :p Picked it up today and can't wait to get started on the cabinet. Anyway here it is.
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u154/tcleckler/NewPen002.jpg
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u154/tcleckler/NewPen001.jpg

John Keeton
05-22-2008, 6:37 AM
Now that is a good lookin' router table!! I doubt sag will be an issue with that one. Any chance you can get them to mill a dado for a t-strip along the front? That would be icing on the cake!

Lewis DeJoseph
05-22-2008, 8:02 AM
I don't know what else to say but WOW! I would ask if you could get me one but the shipping to Pa would still be cost prohibitive:D. Enjoy your gloat.

Lewis

Brian Weick
05-22-2008, 8:16 AM
Very nice, One question, how did you create the pocket for the router plate to go in?
Brian

Don Bullock
05-22-2008, 9:36 AM
WOW!!!:eek:

That's what I call having friends in the right places.:D Congratulations. With that granite pattern you won't even be able to see the wood chips from the router on the top. Make sure to give us a critique once you've done a project with it.

Brent Ring
05-22-2008, 10:28 AM
Cool Stuff. Dead Flat I'll bet as well. Nice gloat!

John Dorough
05-22-2008, 11:40 AM
Troy,

Doesn't "free" qualify for something better than an mere gloat?

I, too, am anxious to see how you put this to use.

By the way, where in Alabama are you located? I have two children in Birmingham, and I visit them quite often. The more I see of Alabama and its people, the more I enjoy both.

Best regards,

John Dorough
Ocala, FL

Shawn Honeychurch
05-22-2008, 3:35 PM
Sweet!
nuff said

Steve Flavin001
05-22-2008, 3:43 PM
a rabbitt for the aluminum router plate and the miter slot, as others have pointed out :confused: ? or, had they just not been done when the picture was taken? :rolleyes:

Kevin Newman
05-22-2008, 3:44 PM
I like it.

Daniel Hillmer
05-22-2008, 4:24 PM
That’s wild, I was just thinking about doing granite for a router top last night!

I actually just called our local granite counter top folks here in the Detroit area. They can make a 24" x 36" granite router top with a 9 x 12 inch hole for a router plate, and mill two parallel slots half way down the top and one slot perpendicular to the two above slots, just like on a standard router table, and they can do it for about 700 bucks. I could just epoxy some aluminum t channels into the slots.

Then I figured I could just epoxy some wood blocks inside the 9 x 12 hole to hang my router lift on using the same epoxy that they use to bond granite slabs together in kitchen countertops. Maybe use hard maple or baltic birch.

If money is no object...

Jim Becker
05-22-2008, 5:11 PM
You're not going to have any trouble getting material to slide across that puppy! Congrats!

Greg Sznajdruk
05-22-2008, 5:21 PM
Do you know how to spell hernia? Look forward to see completed project.

Greg

Troy Cleckler
05-22-2008, 11:17 PM
Troy,

Doesn't "free" qualify for something better than an mere gloat?

I, too, am anxious to see how you put this to use.

By the way, where in Alabama are you located? I have two children in Birmingham, and I visit them quite often. The more I see of Alabama and its people, the more I enjoy both.

Best regards,

John Dorough
Ocala, FL
Hey John, I live in Prattville just North of Montgomery. Alabama has it all, mountains, oceans and everything in between.
As far as the table top goes I'm planning on using 3/4 ply on the top of the cabinet with a hole cut 3/4" smaller than the opening in the granite and attach the 3/4" Birch strips for the plate to set on. I'll be using brass inserts with set screws under the plate to level it up and using the four corner holes in the plate to mount it down to the Birch ply. By doing it this way, if you have to change the strips out for whatever reason you don't have to remove the old adhesive from the granite. Also by using a ply sub straight I can add a border of maple to the outer edges and round the corners. That's what I'm thinking anyway. Things might change as I go.