PDA

View Full Version : BLO Cure Time

Matt Wibbenmeyer
05-21-2008, 9:19 PM
Hi all--I've been browsing the forum for a couple months now, but this is only my second post. I just applied BLO to a dresser I'm building. The dresser is cherry, so to minimize blotching, I applied a thin coat of it with a rag and wiped off the excess within a minute or two. My question is how long I have to wait before applying a topcoat of polyurethane. I know I should wait until the BLO cures, but how do I know when it has cured? Since I applied such a thin coat, would two nights be enough time? Thanks to all who have any input on this. In the couple of months I've been on here, I've already learned a lot.

-Matt

Lee Koepke
05-21-2008, 9:26 PM
Usually a nite or two works.

Read a hint that I use, I spread out the rag that I used in the same area the BLO treated wood is, when the rag is completely dry, the wood should be too.

Be careful to spread it out enough to not build up heat.

Thin coats dont take long ...

Jim Becker
05-21-2008, 10:32 PM
If you coat it with de-waxed shellac, you can start on your varnish as soon as the shellac is dry. But it's a good idea to wait a few days. If you really want to be conservative, wait until the smell dissipates.

Ryan Sparreboom
05-22-2008, 1:04 AM
Can someone tell me what BLO is?

jeremy levine
05-22-2008, 8:45 AM
Boiled Linseed Oil. Do a thread search and you will get more info then you will ever need.

Ryan Sparreboom
05-22-2008, 8:33 PM
Thanks Jeremy.

Gary Breckenridge
05-22-2008, 11:05 PM
BLO is boiled linseed oil and some of it has a touch of heavy metals in it and it does dry and cure quickly. Linseed oil will take forever to dry.:( Some of the BLO products do not have the heavy metals.