PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist Rant

Mike Goetzke
05-21-2008, 4:01 PM
Is it just me or do others have items they promise to buy slip out from under them.

More often than not, I have had sellers ok the sale but when we make arrangements to swap cash for goods I'm told the item has been sold.

Latest example - I saw a Makita drill kit late last night. I contacted the seller by e-mail explaining I'd buy it and wanted his location/time to pick it up. He gave me his work address and work phone. I called it immediately (last night) and left a message saying I could pick it up anytime and left my work and cell #. I called him at 8:30AM and he says the item was sold. I asked him when did the buyer contact him and he said this morning...then he tried changing his story when I said I left a message last night.

.....ok I feel better now.

(CL - officially off my Bookmarks)

Mike

Joe Pelonio
05-21-2008, 4:14 PM
I sympathize, but I think these days with all the scams, sellers like to have backup buyers. I'm guessing the person hadn't showed up with the cash yet
and rather than lose you as a backup he fibbed. Not ethical and not good, but probably something that happens a lot.

Jim Becker
05-21-2008, 4:21 PM
I don't like that kind of response, either, but it does happen. Not with me as the seller, however.

I just sold some items via Craig's List. One item started getting responses within about 5 minutes of posting. The first responder committed to pick up today and by the time I pulled the ad no more than 30 minutes later, I had 7 others wanting the items. I did keep those additional responses "just in case", but had already told the first responder that the items were hers. And...I notified the others after the pickup that the items were no longer available. Unfortunately, many folks don't follow the same path I do...

Barry Reade
05-21-2008, 4:22 PM
Mike this is getting to be the norm for people without any morals or ethics. I experience this frequently and hear it from my friends. There are a couple of reasons for this 1) people today think one in hand is worth more than one in the bush especially if they offer to pay more than you are suppose to pay and are standing at their door. 2) To many people today commit themselves to paying and then change their mind and don't call or show up and the seller feels stranded.

When I am the seller and someone want to commit to buying my product over the phone I tell them that I will hold the item till and I give a specific time and date we both agree on and I tell them after that time the item goes to the next person unless they call and renegotiate the terms.

Whenever i am the buyer and the seller says they have the product I know from past experience to get over to that persons place immediately. If they say i can come over at 11:30 pm when they get off from work, and my bunky time is 10:30 pm, I change my bunky time or know in my heart there is greater than a 50% chance that it will be sold when I get there.

The old saying "The early bird gets the worm" is very applicable in these cases. So, buck up, that is the way society is. I hate it but, there is nothing I can do as a buyer and everyone I sell to appreciates my morals and ethics.

That was kind of a rant to support your rant

Jerome Hanby
05-21-2008, 4:29 PM
I think you pretty much have to be first on the scene with the cash. It's just crazy to pass up a sure fire sale waiting for someone you don't know from Adam to maybe show up. Personally, if it's something I know that I will buy or I'm willing to take a bit of risk to be able to look at first hand, I offer to pay them a deposit with PayPal to hold the item until I get there. If it's some distance from me and it takes planning to make the trip, I keep them in the loop.

Still it's aggravating to lose an item that way...

Randy Klein
05-21-2008, 4:38 PM
My wife does Craigslist alot. You won't believe the amount of people who say they want it, schedule a time to come get it, and never show. Then contact you with some story, schedule another time, and still never show. Repeat ad infinitum. It's frustrating.

So when she gets multiple responses, she tells them all that multiple people are interested and the first to show gets it.

Lee Schierer
05-21-2008, 4:42 PM
I've never sold or purchased anything on Craigslist, but I have sold things through the local paper. Many times we got calls from people who will be "right out" or they leave a message saying they want the item. Most never show. After killing a couple of days waiting on the no shows, we do what we want to do when we want to do it. The first one to the door with the cash and we agree on the price gets to take the item with them. Unless I know the person, I won't hold the item for anyone without a significant deposit in hand.

Chris Padilla
05-21-2008, 4:44 PM
Craigslist is full of people looking for a deal and sellers (normally) looking to unload an item quickly.

Try posting items for free. It gets real crazy and I will no longer do that. I'll ask for at least a dollar on stuff I just assume give away.

I try to give first contact the benefit of the doubt and so far so good with that. As a buyer, I've only had one disappointment and that was going to the guy's house at a predefined time and he wasn't there so I left him a snippy note and never went back. At least I didn't have to drive too far and the item wasn't a must have...ended up doing something else.

CL is free...you win some and lose some...overall I'm quite happy with how it has worked for me from both a selling and buying standpoint.

Joe Pelonio
05-21-2008, 4:58 PM
Chris, if you are giving things away, we have had great luck with freecycle,
if there's a group in your area. People really want the stuff, show up on time and are truly grateful for it. We've gotten rid of a lot of stuff that we'd have had to pay the dumps to junk otherwise. Usually it's gone the next day.

Jerome Hanby
05-21-2008, 5:02 PM
Ditto

PS: I just put a couch on Freecycle. Come get it and you can make fun of my tools for free!

Chris, if you are giving things away, we have had great luck with freecycle,
if there's a group in your area. People really want the stuff, show up on time and are truly grateful for it. We've gotten rid of a lot of stuff that we'd have had to pay the dumps to junk otherwise. Usually it's gone the next day.

Eric DeSilva
05-21-2008, 6:12 PM
I understand how you feel, and it sounds like others have the right diagnosis--he had you on a shelf in case a deal fell through. It also sounds like you thought you had a deal. But, did you ever actually hear him say that he would sell it to you? It is possible that, notwithstanding swapping some emails/voicemails, he may not have thought you had a deal...

I'm with Jim in terms of my own practices--if I get a definite offer and respond to it, everyone else gets a "sorry, the item is sold, but I'll keep your email and contact you if the buyer flakes out and the sale falls through." But, if I crack open my email and find four offers, I'm not necessarily going to take the first one. All things being equal, I would defer to the first offer, but all things aren't always equal. You would be surprised at the general lack of civility in emails, or I'll see emails that smack of fraud or flakes, or I'll just get a feeling that a particular person is going to be a PITA to deal with. The one thing I won't do, for whatever reason, is take a later offer that is more than my asking price merely on that basis.

Being a buyer on CL as well, I won't deal with people who take the attitude that "first to give me cash wins." If I've gotta drive an hour to pick something up, I'm not making that drive unless I've darn sure got a deal. I'm not saying its an unfair practice, just be aware that you are possibly losing buyers because of it.

My bottom line advice is to be very specific either buying or selling on CL--or ebay or anywhere else. You can easily enter into a binding contract, but find yourself up a creek. What if you agree to sell it to someone and they fail to show up when promised to pick it up? Unless your contract was contingent on them picking it up at that time, you may still have an obligation to sell it to them. That is why I'm always specific--"The item is yours for $X cash in hand, to be picked up at Y AM on ___. Please contact me if you will be late, and if you fail to show up, I reserve the right to cancel the sale and sell to someone else." Similarly, if I'm buying, the email is going to read something like "if the item is still available, I will offer you your asking price, in cash, and can pick up the item after work this week (except Tuesday), or over the weekend. Please let me know no later than 10PM tonight if we have a deal; I've got some other options I'm looking into and can't commit to later than that."

John Nowack
05-21-2008, 6:27 PM
I just sold 3 things for the a widow down the street as a favor--they sold about 20 minutes after posting and were picked up in 30---I always call in oder of response--If the fist guy wants it and can be here in 24 hours or so then he gets it--the other are told were they are in line and will be called in order if the others flake out----The ones flaking out are just as bad as people who don't stick to thier commitment on the deal--i think that is why other sellers are so willing to give it to the first one with cash but I won't do that if the time of pick up is reasonable---dragging it out for days between multiple interested buyers is not really someting that makes it fun or worth while though

James Hart
05-21-2008, 6:47 PM
I'm definitely a fan of showing up with cash ASAP.

There's a flip side to this. I listed a car at a great price. Had several calls within a half hour. Promised the first guy he had one hour to get there and it was his. He shows up and offers me HALF the asking price. This after I told six people it was pretty much taken. By the time I closed the door in his face he was back up to the great price I had advertised.

I now go out of my way to say "I will hold this for you at the price listed in the ad. If you show up and offer me $1 less, it's going to the next caller." If they want to negotiate, they should do it up front, not after you've held the item for them.

Jim

Clara Koss
05-21-2008, 7:21 PM
Is it just me or do others have items they promise to buy slip out from under them.

More often than not, I have had sellers ok the sale but when we make arrangements to swap cash for goods I'm told the item has been sold.

Latest example - I saw a Makita drill kit late last night. I contacted the seller by e-mail explaining I'd buy it and wanted his location/time to pick it up. He gave me his work address and work phone. I called it immediately (last night) and left a message saying I could pick it up anytime and left my work and cell #. I called him at 8:30AM and he says the item was sold. I asked him when did the buyer contact him and he said this morning...then he tried changing his story when I said I left a message last night.

.....ok I feel better now.

(CL - officially off my Bookmarks)

Mike
as you can see by the responses you recieved it happens all the time...honest people will let you know you are on a waiting list and that's the way it should be...and if you are first, you should get the chance to show up...my son sells and he always waits till the time he and the buyer agreed upon,THEN if the buyer does not show he goes to the next guy...greed is bad for all...

Jesse Espe
05-21-2008, 8:42 PM
I've sold and bought on CL a few times. What surprises me is the number of people who, at whatever hour of the night, will drive across town to pick up your empty moving boxes. After my latest move to Northern Virginia, I posted that I had about 45-50 small to medium size moving boxes and about 10 wardrobe boxes out on the curb. I posted at 9pm. By 1am, the pile had been PICKED CLEAN!

Brian Elfert
05-21-2008, 9:02 PM
I've been prowling Craig's List lately for a compressor and am getting pretty frustrated trying to get a decent one at a decent price. I thought I had made arrangements yesterday to buy one, but the seller sold it to someone who probably didn't live 50 miles away like I do.

It is okay if they are upfront about selling it to first guy with the cash, but if they lead you on that they will sell it to you and then sell it out from under you that sucks.

If I post something on Craigslist I only accept responses via email. The first person to reply is given a reasonable chance to buy and I tell others they are on a waiting list. If I get 5 or 6 replies I delete the ad. I don't give out my phone number because I don't want phone call after phone call. I check my email quite often and will give my number to a serious buyer.

I once gave out my phone number to give away half a pallet of sod and my phone rang off the hook for the next hour. I was on the road and finally quit answering the phone and stopped at my work to delete the ad.

Craig Summers
05-21-2008, 11:22 PM
I have bought and sold on Craigslist, only in the past 4 months, and its also how i found SawmillCreek (My wife has given me permission to call it Mylist :rolleyes:)

I bought a workshop on there recently, the seller had limited information and no pictures. I was told there would be more information next week. I had that Friday off from work, so i made a deal. I would drive the 50 miles, and check out the workshop. If i wanted it, i would buy it. If i didn't want it, then i would catalog it and take pictures, and give the seller that information. Lets just say on Saturday i returned with a U-Haul and cash for the asking price.
There were some items in that sale that I have since sold also using mylist, with no significant problems.
Related to this story, the best and worst deals are usually the ones with the least information and no pics.

My rant as a seller is i expect a first email that either says 1) Is it still available or 2) do you have more information. If the email only says "how low will you go," then i have already decided that i dont want to sell it to that person.

One of the best deals i got on "mylist" was by posting an ad for a lawn tool that i wanted, I used a stock photo, and a price i was willing to pay (less than 50% new). Ended up the only response was from someone who owned a sawmill nearby. Now i have a seeder and another wood supplier.

My BIL has had decent luck posting free stuff, its best to do the curb alert for that and put it near the street, weather permitting. I once saw a 'free' ad that said "its in my backyard,, but if you come to pick it up after 9 pm, i will call the police" :eek:

Right now I'm trying to help my brother find a decent tablesaw (10" solid top, beisemeyer) in the Southern Md area for a price he can afford.

Mike Goetzke
05-22-2008, 12:11 AM
Great replies! Guess I'm not really a CL type. I recently sold a jointer. The first guy to want it couldn't pick it up till the next day. I received about three other inquiries but the fourth gut said he needed it that evening and would pay $75 more than my asking price. Tempting but I held off for the original buyer. Guess the first with cash is a good idea as long as it's known up front.

Getting back to the drill deal. I sent an e-mail saying I wanted it just needed contact location so I could pick it up - here is what I got:

Thanks Mike.

I can bring into work - (Naperville)
1300 Iroquois.
Come anytime to see/buy it.

Steve

Sincerely,
Steven + Kroll

Guess when I read it now, it does sound like a form letter that could be sent to many.

Dave MacArthur
05-22-2008, 2:23 AM
I look at CraigsList as a cut and dried contractual deal--there is NO DEAL without consideration given and received. People call ALL the time saying they will show up, then never do--how is a seller supposed to know that YOU are the one guy who is different? Any buyer desiring the seller to HOLD AN ITEM for him, should do the exact same thing done in every other business area including stocks, real estate, etc--PAY FOR THE OPTION! You are asking a seller to give up possibly higher bids, possibly waste their time waiting for you to show, and perhaps pass up an assured sale when someone else shows up early! What, you want all that from the seller for FREE? Pay for it if you want it, offer a hold option and send a paypal holding fee to show you're serious right the instant you get off the phone.

I am continually amazed when people fail to account for OPPORTUNITY COSTS to sellers, and just expect sellers to eat increased risk and cost without paying for it... no other business area does this. To me it's pretty clear cut: if you want the item, you jump in the car and get there FIRST with cash in hand. If someone else is in line before you, but the deal is not "done", no consideration has been paid yet, then there is no deal--offer more and get it. There are too many folks trying have it all their way and resting their case on "an honorable handshake over the phone", and not enough operating under contract law, IMO. Now please take into account, I'm writing this from the perspective of someone who HAS sold items, and been burned by passing up the guy who shows with cash in hand, for the "I promise I'll be there at 5pm!" guy who just never shows. I don't have the time to waste for that, and I can't verify which honorable buyers are really scumbags. Money talks, speed is king, early bird shows more believable intent to purchase and satisfy ME the seller. Email me a 1 paragraph contract and $10 paypal, and I'll start to believe you and hold the thing...

Tim Morton
05-22-2008, 5:38 AM
ebay=feedback=accountibility:)

CL=NO feedback= no accountability = people don't care how they behave in public anymore:eek:

Eric DeSilva
05-22-2008, 7:46 AM
I look at CraigsList as a cut and dried contractual deal--there is NO DEAL without consideration given and received.

Oral/email can establish a contractual obligation. All there needs to be is offer and acceptance and consideration for the deal--but that is the cash for the item. Take this situation... You orally agree to buy my truck on CL for $10K cash and you say you will pick it up tomorrow, I agree and don't specify any conditions. Say you don't show up tomorrow. I turn around and sell it later that day to someone else. You show up the next day. Its my understanding that we still have a contract and I can be sued for damages--in this case you find the same truck for $12K, you may be able to sue me for $2K and win.

That is why I tend to be very specific about the offer I'm making and whether I've accepted a deal. Don't think I'd sue anyone, but don't like the idea of being sued. Maybe I'm paranoid.

M Toupin
05-22-2008, 8:55 AM
People call ALL the time saying they will show up, then never do--how is a seller supposed to know that YOU are the one guy who is different?

That's the most frustrating part about CL. 95% of the items I've sold on CL have ended up just like that. At first I started to honor the first caller, but I quickly found out the guy who says he'll be "right over", never shows... That leaves you to try and keep a standing list and calling folks back etc. My hard and fast rule is, "first come, first served". I don't hold anything for anyone without cash in hand. If you want it, be the first one on the door step.

Mike

Jesse Cloud
05-22-2008, 10:01 AM
Interesting thread. First, let me say that 95% or so of my dealings on clist have been smooth and fun, I've even made some friends that way.

People are people, though, and I have dealt with some real flakes. I was once trying to buy a pda from a young lady and she understandably didn't want to give me her phone number. After an initial contact, she remained incognito for a week "Oh, I forgot to tell you I was going home to see my parents." Then preoccupied with finals, etc. After three weeks of this, I felt like a fool and gave up.:o:confused:

I sell tools on Clist for about half of current retail and they generally go fast. I feel badly for the folks who want a cheaper price or come up with several questions. If there are others interested, I always let people know. The other thing that bugs me is when people who aren't local respond and want a price break to make up for the shipping costs.

In my opinion, CLIST is still much better than Ebay. When I'm selling I always start up a power tool and let the buyer test it and I expect the same when I'm buying. Then cash is exhanged and the deal is done. On Ebay you never know when the thing will actually be shipped or if you really understand exactly what you are buying.

Funny thing now is that I have a few repeat CLIST customers who have asked for a heads up before I post. Usually an email to them will generate a sale and I don't even fool with CLIST.

Matt Bickford
05-22-2008, 10:20 AM
I check craigslist once a day, almost everyday. I have seen a few things offered in which I'm most likely 12 hours behind the first response. I don't hesitate in sending the seller an initial email saying I will pay more.

Example: I saw a bench on craigslist that was offered at $75. This thing looked like it would be a steal for $750 and would be offered at $1500-2000 in an antique store. The advertisement was posted the previous day. I sent the seller 1 email saying I will pay $250 for it. I got it and was absolutely not the first person in line, not even close. She had committed to selling it to another person for $85. It's an easy way to distinguish yourself when you're the 10th person, the previous 9 saying they'll each pay the $75. I probably could have gotten away with bidding $150, but even in retrospect it wasn't worth it. (it was her great grandfather's bench)

I've done the same things with a few saws. Each time I'm last to respond but I still get them for a fraction of what I would be willing to pay.

Doug Jones from Oregon
05-22-2008, 11:12 AM
Mike, I both buy and sell quite a bit on my local C/L. I tell anyone that contacts me about buying my widget that it is the first person at my door with the cash that takes it home. I don't and won't hold anything (unless a fair cash deposit is made) for anyone....I have had bozo #1 and #2 call and swear they were my buyer and never show up.

Now, since we are airing our irks....why, why, why is that when one reads an ad of any kind that says the product being sold is such and such price and that the price is firm and then offers considerably less, all the time! I get offers of much lower pricing from folks not even seeing the stuff! I set a price and I stick to it...period, and I've sold everything I've offered to very happy customers.

Doug