PDA

View Full Version : Glue for pinback?

Carol Esh
05-21-2008, 2:30 PM
What type of glue works best for attaching a metal pinback to Romark Lasermax plastics. I have some badges I am making and not sure what the best glue is to use.

Doug Griffith
05-21-2008, 2:42 PM
For crafty jobs, I've had a lot of success with "The Ultimate" from http://www.crafterspick.com

Joe Pelonio
05-21-2008, 4:10 PM
I always buy the ones with double sided foam tape already on them, it's a lot easier and not much more expensive.

Gary and Jessica Houghton
05-21-2008, 5:48 PM
Try Liquid Nails.

Craig Hogarth
05-21-2008, 5:49 PM
I buy the ones with adhesive too, but you should try loctite 495. I did a bulk job of license plate frames and they approved the proof with a typo. The only way I was able to get it off was with an butane torch on the opposite side.

David Lavaneri
05-21-2008, 6:56 PM
Carol,

I used to think the self-adhesive findings wouldn't be strong enough, but in years of using the "peel-and-stick" variety, I've never had a complaint of them falling off.

I have, however, had problems with the metal pin back's "clasp" breaking, which became a major issue.

I now use the plastic "diaper pin" style pin back (no moving parts) from JDS.

Zero complaints, which is exactly the number of compliants I want.

:)

David "The Stunt Engraver" Lavaneri

Carol Esh
05-21-2008, 7:30 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone! I have been experimenting with a couple of different glues and found:

Foam sticky back holds pretty good (I just didn't have any small enough for the pins I was making.)

Hot glue works if you "bridge" the glue over the top. But it can sure make a stringy mess.

Heating the pin and "melting" it into the plastic doesn't hold very well.

In the end I found the best glue for this application was ~~drum roll please~~~

Insta-Cure + cyanoacrylate glue-gap filling that my husband uses on the RC airplanes he builds. I also "bridge" it over the top but it was a lot easier to use than the hot glue gun.

Russ Miller
05-28-2008, 7:06 PM
At TAP Plastics we use Weld-On #16 or Weld-On #3. Both work very quickly and because they melt the plastic, they are permanent.
Russ