PDA

View Full Version : Formica Fusion Confusion?

Dale Thompson
04-08-2004, 11:18 PM
Hi Folks,
Does anyone out there know how the manufacturers attach their formica to the substrate? I can save my cousin and her husband a lot of money if I can "cannibalize" a couple of "reject" counter tops from our local Menards (regional "box store"). All I need is a 2" strip for the front of the top. I'm starting with a 36" wide Formica top which is 6' long. I'm installing a 14" top over a series of 12" back-bar cabinets. I already have 6' of "factory" front but I need about 4' more. :(

The alternative is to put some kind of a hardwood front (bullnose, etc.)across the entire front. They will go with anything I suggest (all my jobs are free) but the hardwood will not match their bar edging. They could care less about the mismatch. On the other hand, I go over there three or four times a year and I DO care about the match.

Any suggestions? I would much rather go over there and enjoy a good Manhattan while munching on pickled herring than hide, with personal embarrassment, in a corner with a glass of ice water and a used toothpick. :o :o HELP!!

Dale T.

John Miliunas
04-08-2004, 11:27 PM
Hey boss, don't know if it's the "proper" way or not, but in a past life, I worked in a little production shop. We did ALL of our plastic laminating with contact cement. That included fixtures for stores, which get a fair amount of abuse. Just want to keep hot objects off of it, but for a bar area, I suspect that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

BTW, never was much for Manhattans or Martini's, but that pickled herring sure sounds good! :cool:

Jim Schmoll
04-09-2004, 1:33 AM
Contact cement is the way to go. If the edge has a little raised lip to keep the water from spilling over the edge, you will be stuck with a wood trim molding.

Jim From Idyllwild CA

Used to have a place at Crooked Lake between Crivetz and Mountian WI.

Dale Thompson
04-09-2004, 7:10 PM
Thanks guys. The problem is already solved so there is no need to "cannibalize" anything. I TOTALLY mis-stated the question. I was trying to get a bit of the Formica OFF instead of put it on. Actually, I've done quite a bit of Formica application but never any deapplication.

I have a piece of countertop which is 36" wide by 72" long. I wanted to cut two 14" wide strips 5' long from that to use for 10' of 12" cabinets. I thought that the back of the original piece would be plain and I would need a 2" strip of the formica to finish the front. As luck would have it, both front and back were already Formica "Edged", so the problem went way. :o :o

Tip: If you ever see my name on a post again - just ignore it!?! If I can't even ASK a question properly, how can I expect to give anyone any credible ANSWERS???
:( :o ;)

Dale T.

Ralph Hebert Sr
04-09-2004, 7:53 PM
Dale T.
Actually, I've done quite a bit of Formica application but never any deapplication

Funny you mention that. I am in the process of removing formica from 3 butcher block counter tops. Yes.. Butcher block!!!.
I helped a friend Wednesday do some demolition work and they had these 3 counter tops to be tossed. I took a good lok at them and they were butcher block, Maple all the way 24x96 2" thick.......covered in formica!!!!! :( :mad:

Anyway, if you ever need to remove formica....take a heat gun and heat it up and use a wide blade putty knife to " scrape" it off. Soak remaining cement with thinner and wipe it off. Works great, finished one this evenin already.

Ralph

John Miliunas
04-09-2004, 9:58 PM
Dale T.Funny you mention that. I am in the process of removing formica from 3 butcher block counter tops. Yes.. Butcher block!!!.
I helped a friend Wednesday do some demolition work and they had these 3 counter tops to be tossed. I took a good lok at them and they were butcher block, Maple all the way 24x96 2" thick.......covered in formica!!!!! :( :mad:
Kind of like the carpet I "replaced" a few years ago. Started as a "small" project, in front of the patio doors. Tore up the carpet and behold: Hardwood floors! Age old story, I know, and this one went from about 4x12 easy project to a 12x20 refinishing project! Then, the carpet which eventually met the refinished floor, didn't look "right" with the floor, so I ended up replacing it, too! Looked nice, though. :cool:

Dale Thompson
04-09-2004, 10:14 PM
Dale T.Actually, I've done quite a bit of Formica application but never any deapplication

Funny you mention that. I am in the process of removing formica from 3 butcher block counter tops. Yes.. Butcher block!!!.

Anyway, if you ever need to remove formica....take a heat gun and heat it up and use a wide blade putty knife to " scrape" it off. Soak remaining cement with thinner and wipe it off. Works great, finished one this evenin already.

RalphRalph,
Thanks for the hint. It will come in handy the "next" time. In the words of "someone from the past". My woodworking theme is, "I have met the enemy and he is ME!!". :o :( ;)

Dale T.

Dale Thompson
04-09-2004, 10:26 PM
Kind of like the carpet I "replaced" a few years ago. Started as a "small" project, in front of the patio doors. Tore up the carpet and behold: Hardwood floors! Age old story, I know, and this one went from about 4x12 easy project to a 12x20 refinishing project! Then, the carpet which eventually met the refinished floor, didn't look "right" with the floor, so I ended up replacing it, too! Looked nice, though. :cool:Hey Spring,
Consider living a pure, clean, moral life like I do and your 4x12 jobs won't turn into 12x20 jobs. I know that it will be a totally shocking change of life style for you but - AW - forget it. It's too late for you anyway. :D :D ;)

Also, when are you going to post some pics? At the very least you should change the lipstick shade on your avatar. :cool:
Dale T.

John Miliunas
04-09-2004, 10:39 PM
Hey Spring,
Consider living a pure, clean, moral life like I do and your 4x12 jobs won't turn into 12x20 jobs. I know that it will be a totally shocking change of life style for you but - AW - forget it. It's too late for you anyway. :D :D ;)

Also, when are you going to post some pics? At the very least you should change the lipstick shade on your avatar. :cool:
Dale T.

Yup, WAY too late for me, especially if I'm to emulate the likes of you! Heck, I ain't even got enough time to be ME! :rolleyes:

Pics will come as projects reach completion. In my case, don't hold your breathe! I will post pics of another small batch of FP pens, as soon as I get those done. Anything else I've done, as of late, isn't worth burning electrons up for. :cool: