PDA

View Full Version : Jet Mini Lathe and the Vortex

David LaRue
04-08-2004, 10:39 PM
Ok,

I seem to be getting near the edge of the turning vortex and feel that I might get sucked in. I saw a Jet Mini and was wondering of the virtues of a multi-speed verse the variable speed. It that important? Also, it looks like the lathe is the cheap part. Tools, tools and more tools to feed the vortex. Any suggestions on how to start? :confused:

Dave

Jim Becker
04-08-2004, 11:33 PM
Yea, VS is definitely a feature you want if you can get it. Sometimes, even a few RPM difference can make or break the experience relative to vibration, etc. I was really glad to see them make the Jet mini available with this feature...which normally you need to spend a whole lot of money to get!

Richard Allen
04-09-2004, 7:40 AM
Hi David

On a lathe the size of the Jet mini the VS speed is nice but not as important a feature as VS is on a larger lathe. Still it's only $100 more and once you work with VS you will feel you are missing out when working a multi-speed lathe.

Where to start? Hands on instruction is a great place to start. Take an introduction to the lathe class and ask a lot of questions. There are three woodturning clubs in and around Chicago which meet on the second, third and fourth Tuesdays (each club meets once a month) of the month. Make a point of attending a meeting and make sure they know that you are looking for the safe way into the vortex. The primary mission of the AAW (American Asscoation of Woodtruners) of which these clubs are local chapters, is to promote the teaching of woodturning. Most clubs have mentoring programs which will pair you up with an experinced turner near where you live. Many clubs also have vedio librarys where you can rent a woodturning vedio for a month at a nominal cost. Most meetings include a demonstration of some aspect of woodturning. But mostly you will find a group of people with all skill levels who are in the vortex and eager to help you join them.

Chicago Woodturners
<blockquote> Serving: Cook & surrounding counties
Meeting Date: 2nd Tuesday
Chapter Web Site: http://www.chicagowoodturners.com
Paul Shotola
115 Allentown Ct
Vernon Hill, IL 60061
847-816-0864
p.shotola@attbi.com </blockquote>
Northern Illinois Woodturners
<blockquote> Serving: Northern IL & Southern WI
Meeting Date: 4th Tuesday