PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed

Greg Heppeard
05-21-2008, 9:18 AM
I am trying to find cabinet hardware and accessories for people with disabilities. I am planning on moving the direction of the business to specialize in building cabinets and furniture to make life easier for people who can't move around and work in the "normal" kitchen. If anyone knows of a supplier for hardware or shelf lowering devices or design help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Tom Walz
05-21-2008, 2:41 PM
Many of us do just fine with normal stuff. However you can't fry eggs while you are in a wheelchair as it puts your face at about the same level as spitting grease.

I think you could accomplish a huge amount with standard parts if you really listened to and worked with your customers.

When you are handicapped people think you are retarded. When I was in a wheelchair shopping with my housekeeper, people would automatically expect her to handle the money. I walked into Neiman Marcus on crutches and clerks kept trying to talk to my friend even though he told them repeatedly that I was the customer.

tom

Greg Heppeard
05-21-2008, 3:03 PM
I've thought about lowered counter height, recessed sink base and recess under the cook top. I've also thought about pull out shelves on all lower cabinets. Higher toe kick. Pull down shelves in upper cabinets. Lower wall oven and microwave. Front controls on sink. Pull out cutting boards for more counter area when needed. Appliance lifts. Can anyone think of anything else?