PDA

View Full Version : Vector Sequence Question

Frank Defert
05-20-2008, 9:32 PM
Hi All,

I am looking for directions on how to manipulate the vector cutting sequence of a file, a grid of equal sized boxes.

Would like either all the horizontal or vertical lines to go first and then all the lines in the opposing direction.

Thanks .... Frank

Doug Griffith
05-20-2008, 9:51 PM
I use Illustrator and layers for that type of control. It also depends on the sequence each item is created and the direction of the path (ie. right to left to right to left and son on). You may be able to do the same in Corel.

Darren Null
05-20-2008, 9:56 PM
It should do things in the order you create the lines.

Say, horizontal first, do the top one. CTRL D to duplicate; move it down to where you want it (a square to snap the second line to helps), then CTRL D repeatedly to do the rest of the horizontal lines. Then do the verticals.

Do the lines one at once though. If you copy a block of them to save time, it'll mess the order up.

Don't know what would happen if you use the grid tool.

Lee DeRaud
05-20-2008, 11:11 PM
One other thing: dunno if the Epilog driver has a "vector optimization" feature, but if it does, shut it off.

Peck Sidara
05-21-2008, 9:50 AM
Frank,

Two words; color-mapping. You'll have to assign the horizontal lines and vertical lines different RGB color values. i.e. horizontal lines red R:255, G:0, B:0.
vertical lines blue R:0, G:0, B:255.

Reference your manual on how to set-up color mapping in your Epilog print driver. From there you can even set different power/speed/frequency/air-assist for each color.

HTH,

Gary Hair
05-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Frank,
The order of cutting is based on the order in Object Manager. The objects are cut starting from the bottom and working its way up. The exception to this is when you have any kind of vector sorting or optimization selected in your laser driver.

Something a lot of people don't know - the direction you draw the line is the direction it cuts... When I wanted to optimize a grid pattern I redrew it keeping this in mind. The top line was drawn from left to right, the second was right to left, etc. I did the same with the vertical lines, top to bottom on the first one on the left then bottom to top on the next, etc. You would be amazed at how much faster your laser runs when you do this.

Gary

Pete Simmons
05-21-2008, 1:55 PM
If those line were created as boxes arn't you out of luck?

You would need to either break them all apart or redraw using lines.

Mike Mackenzie
05-21-2008, 1:59 PM
To check the order that corel will cut use the SHIFT and TAB buttons and it will scrol through your drawing in the order it will cut.

Peck Sidara
05-21-2008, 2:00 PM
That's correct Pete but if you follow Darren's instructions or something of the like, it can be done.

Doug Griffith
05-21-2008, 2:31 PM
To cycle through the item order in Illustrator: command-option-] (control/alt-])

Another helpful trick is to select all and temporarilly add arrowheads to the ends of the lines. This will show the direction of the cut. Duping everything to another layer may be helpful here.

Another trick is to click the scissor tool on a point of a closed path. This will set the begin/end point.

Also, this handy script will change direction of a closed or open path:
http://illustrator.hilfdirselbst.ch/dokuwiki/en/skripte/javascript/wr-reversepathdirection

Roy Brewer
05-21-2008, 9:34 PM
I am looking for directions on how to manipulate the vector cutting sequence of a file, a grid of equal sized boxes.Frank,

I may take myself too seriously, but while all have given valid suggestions, I don't think they've sensed why/what you're doing.

It wouldn't be the first time today I've been wrong, but I don't think you'd have asked the question the way you did unless you are cutting huge numbers of rectangular parts and therefore you want an extremely optimized cutter path with no duplicate cuts. What you want is what many engraving programs do automatically.

Here's what I do.
While many ways to create the grid, the Graph Paper tool is the most elegant; if you have not used it previously, the time you lose learning it might be redeemed even on this project!
Be sure Snap to Objects turned on.

Use the Freehand tool to snap to the top of the 1st vertical line then to the bottom. Next snap to the bottom of the 2nd vertical then to the top... If you haven't grasped the idea yet, I'm wasting my time.

The few minutes (3-5 regardless of your table size and blank size) this takes will be redeemed in after only a few runs. The rest is $ in your pocket.

Don't forget to erase the graph object. With nothing selected, if you press Shift+Tab to select the Group of nn objects (the graph, the 1st object created therefore at the bottom of the database) and may be deleted.

Please confirm this is what you're needing to do.

Darren Null
05-21-2008, 10:38 PM
That's correct Pete but if you follow Darren's instructions or something of the like...
Very kind of you Peck, but the way I was doing it had a big flaw...the setup was quick...get it right once and CTRL D your way through the rest of the grid in one direction, repeat for the other BUT the downside to that is that the laser just runs in one direction and has to heave and wheeze it's weary way all the way to the other end of the grid before starting again on the next line.

The problem I had was that if I did a 'there and back' set of two lines, the 'there' was created first, so the laser would do all the 'there' lines and then do all the 'back' lines afterwards.

Both Gary and Roy are saying the same thing. Put your grid up for reference, then do a 'there and back' pattern with the liney drawingy thing. Then delete the reference grid, obviously, before burning.

I'm going to have to find the Object Manager now...

Doug Griffith
05-22-2008, 10:09 AM
How about creating a single left to right path and then duplicating as many times as needed down. Then select every other path and flip on the horizontal axis. Then do the same for the vertical lines.

Frank Defert
05-22-2008, 11:33 PM
Thanks everyone for the great response!

Roy you are right. I am looking for the best way to optimize the cutting path because I am cutting large numbers of these squares and rectangles. However your explanation is over my head.

I spoke with my local epilog dealer and he says they lay the file out much like Gary has done. No waisted movements and the optimal cutting sequence.

They are going to go over a layout with me on Monday when I pick up some supplies.

I would like to take a minute and say thanks to them for not only the tech support for my machine but also their help with corel draw, laser materials, and supplies. They are even up for drop in visits to say hello and see whats going on. A great group!

Frank

Brian Conklin
05-23-2008, 9:58 AM
So you don't have to draw ALL the lines this is what I do....

Draw the first line, then use the step and repeat to place on the grid. Select the 2nd line, hit shift and click on every other line. While still all selected click the mirror button, those lines selected will redraw in reverse.........and engrave back and forth like what you wanted.

Thanks for bringing this up....I haven't experimented with it before and now you helped me save time!