PDA

View Full Version : My BIL is 'da man!

Ken Fitzgerald
05-20-2008, 9:03 PM
After I built my wife an oak sideboard, my BIL sent me a package. On that side board I made the face frame with half-lap joints. Tedious...time consuming....but hey.....they are strong!

My BIL a more experienced woodworker than I waited until PSI had a sale and bought me their version of the Pocket screw kit. I just used it for the first time. Now dummy..that's me...the first time I made the pockets across the grain and screwed to endgrain. I wasn't impressed. I decided I'd set up for half-lap joints.....Then as I was installing my dado blade it dawned on me what I'd done wrong.

I quickly made the same connection with the pocket holes in the endgrain and the screws going cross grain. What a difference! I am impressed! I'm ordering or locally procuring more screws tomorrow. I have enough to finish my face frame tonight!

Boomer? You 'da man! Thanks!

Peter Quinn
05-20-2008, 9:09 PM
Yup. Pocket hole screws rock. First time I saw them in use was an epiphany. Nice BIL too BTW!

Dick Strauss
05-20-2008, 9:22 PM
Ken,
My buddy thinks highly of McFeeley's http://www.mcfeelys.com/ for good prices on good quality pocket hole screws...

Jim Becker
05-20-2008, 10:52 PM
Yea, pocket screws are addictive, especially for projects you really want to get out fast, yet still be nicely constructed and strong enough to use. There are still some places that M&T is the best choice, but for many other things, I'm definitely a pocket screw fan!

Ken Fitzgerald
05-20-2008, 11:02 PM
Uh......James....I like my coffee black Please.....:rolleyes:

Simon Dupay
05-20-2008, 11:43 PM
to me pocket screws are the only way to do face frames.

Jim, what's with the new avtar?

Ken Fitzgerald
05-21-2008, 10:28 AM
The wife had an early morning meeting at school this a.m. So while she had the bathroom tied up, I went to the shop and attached the faceframe I made with the pocket screws. I didn't do it last night in order to give the glue time to setup. Worked like a charm. I like pocket screws for utility stuff.

I also used my first square-drive cabinet screws. I like those too! Unlike the phillips heads I've been using, these drive with less fuss!

Vince Shriver
05-21-2008, 11:25 AM
Square-head screws work better than phillips or slots.

Torx screws work even better (but not made for pocket holes).

BIL = ?

PSI = ?

Ken Fitzgerald
05-21-2008, 11:37 AM
BIL = Brother-In-Law

PSI = Penn State Industries