PDA

View Full Version : Banjo???

Reed Gray
05-20-2008, 8:15 PM
Does anyone know why we call the thing your tool rest goes into a banjo? This came up at our club meeting last night. No one had a clue.
robo hippy

robert hainstock
05-20-2008, 9:04 PM
I've wondewred that for over fifty years, but I don't think it matters what you cal it or any other part of the lathe as long as we all call it the same thing.:eek::eek::)
Bob

Andrew Derhammer
05-20-2008, 9:28 PM
My best guess it's wider and sorta rounder where the tool rest goes and then it's a long straight section. Probably named by some drunk redneck and the name stuck:D

Ken Fitzgerald
05-20-2008, 10:36 PM
Greg,

Did I overlook something at that webpage?

Jim Becker
05-20-2008, 10:39 PM
My impression was that OneWay has done a lot to promote that name for the tool rest base...but that might just be an "urban shop legend..."

Dale Bright
05-21-2008, 7:34 AM
"Also movably mounted on the lathe bed is the toolrest saddle which supports the toolpost and toolrest. The toolrest saddle - sometimes also known as a 'banjo' because of the shape of this part on earlier lathes - is moved into position such that the tool can be rested on the toolrest and reach the workpiece with full support."

This is a quote form this site: http://www.peter.hemsley.btinternet.co.uk/CDB//Technical/Beginners/beginners.html