PDA

View Full Version : Source for sheet phenolic (not ply)

Randal Cobb
05-20-2008, 7:51 PM
Can anyone recommend a good source for solid phenolic (not phenolic ply) or Lexan. I'm looking for a few pieces maybe 12" x 24" and .210 or .250" thick. I have an idea for a jig and I want something that won't wear out easily, and something that won't be affected by moisture and/or temperature changes.

Thanks in advance!

Phil Thien
05-20-2008, 7:52 PM
www.mcmaster.com (http://www.mcmaster.com)

Ben Rafael
05-20-2008, 7:56 PM
I've seen lexan at some lumber yards here and at many home and garden centers.
I'd imagine home depot and lowes sell lexan.

Tony Joyce
05-20-2008, 8:20 PM
Search eBay for this you can usually find most any size piece at very reasonable prices.

Tony

Peter Quinn
05-20-2008, 8:24 PM
McMaster Carr...Ditto Phil...for the phenolic

Check a local glass company for lexan, mine often has off cuts that size. I've purchased 1/16", 1/8" and 1/4" from my glass guy for a few jigs and dust shrouds.

david kramer
05-20-2008, 9:12 PM
There's a company on the W. Coast called "TAP Plastics" that sells all kinds of polycarbonate, acrylic etc. I've only ever bought from the stores, which are great, but I have no experience with the on-line operation. The web site http://www.tapplastics.com/ looks pretty comprehensive. http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/category.php?bid=24& looks like it should fit your needs.

If you do find yourself anywhere near a store, it's great to wander in and pick through the remnants bin. Good sized remnants usually go for $2-3.

David

tim mathis
05-20-2008, 9:26 PM
i purchase mine at the local metal supply house .
they have plastic drops very cheap or full sheets.
i just bought a 12 inch x 24 inch x 1/2 inch drop of solid phenolic for $6.00.
most metal supply houses also carry plastic.
tim

Alan Schaffter
05-20-2008, 10:45 PM
Also try Aircraft Spruce and Specialty or Wicks Aircraft.

Randal Cobb
05-21-2008, 9:05 PM
Thanks, all, for the suggestions.

I know there is a difference between phenolic and polycarbonates. I'm not sure which would be best, though... I am making a jig system that has a fixed "base" unit and several different designs that I can use (with a collar) a router to cut those designs into wood. Sort-of like letter templates, but designs instead. I've several issues of ShopNotes and it seems they tend to lean towards phenolic (for example the Dovetail jig, and a few others). I believe this is because there is little or no flex in the phenolic compared to polycarbonate. I'm thinking that would be desireable for what I'm trying to do as well. Opinions?

Thanks again!

Wayne Cannon
05-26-2008, 12:49 AM
Phenolic is a great material for jigs. Polycarbonate is probably not a good material for most jig purposes, other than safety shields.

Phenolic is very strong, rigid, and opaque. Polycarbonate can be clear and is surprisingly flexible (i.e., it can't be trusted to be/stay flat -- as a router plate, it will sag badly), but polycarbonate won't shatter like Lucite/Plexiglas (safety glasses are made from a variety of polycarbonate). As long as you store it flat, polycarbonate would probably be fine as a template material.

Tim Morton
05-26-2008, 7:38 AM
try jds industries..

Steve Mellott
05-26-2008, 8:33 PM
PM sent regarding a possible phenolic source in Hampton, Georgia.