PDA

View Full Version : Is this saw of any value to anyone?

Mark Rios
05-20-2008, 7:00 PM
Aluminum and wood handle although the wood part (tote?) is broken, it's all there just broken in the middle. Does this have any value? Does anyone just NEED and HAVE to have this saw for their collection? :D What should I do with it?

Jim Koepke
05-20-2008, 10:26 PM
Aluminum and wood handle although the wood part (tote?) is broken, it's all there just broken in the middle. Does this have any value? Does anyone just NEED and HAVE to have this saw for their collection? :D What should I do with it?

If it is a useable saw, use it on wood you do not want to use a good saw on.
You could also use it to learn how to sharpen a saw.
Finally, the blade could be cut up to make scrapers and scratch beading tools.

jim

Bill Houghton
05-20-2008, 11:37 PM
but it looks like one of the Disston saws from the 1950s, when everyone was making cool modern looking tools. If so, the handle is considered dreadful, but the saw steel is Disston steel - probably decent. I agree - it's a user saw.

I've got one of those with broken aluminum bits (again, if it's the Disston saw). If your aluminum is complete, and you decide to parts it out, let me know (arbuch@sonic.net); I might be interested in a trade of some sort.

Bill Houghton

Don C Peterson
05-21-2008, 12:08 AM
Specifically it is a D-100 which was made in the 60's. This was the timeframe where the Disston name started its slide downward to extinction They don't fetch much on ebay, particularly not with a broken handle.

I would imagine the only case where this would be worth much is if it were in mint condition. Like the other's have said, it could be made into a decent user if you wanted to. If I had one I'd probably make a new handle for it based on the D-12 because those handles are reported to be pretty bad and because of all of my saws I like the D-12 handles the best.

Archie England
05-22-2008, 10:28 AM
I've bought and used one. These are actually very good saws, despite the odd look. The metal takes a good edge, holds it, and cuts well. Don't let the looks of this saw scare you off. It's a great user.

my 2 cents

Archie

James Carmichael
05-22-2008, 11:11 PM
If nothing else, the blade should make some good scrapers.

David DeCristoforo
05-23-2008, 12:04 AM
"... it looks like one of the Disston saws from the 1950's..."

That's exactly what it is... The "Henry Disston Signature" model. Of course, Henry was long gone by the time this hideous thing appeared. My old man had one of these when I was a kid and even then I could tell it was just about the most unbalanced, cumbersome hand saw one could imagine. A keeper as a "period conversation piece" but not (IMMHO) a very good "user". If you like stuff like 1959 Chrysler New Yorkers you'll love this saw.....

Mark Rios
05-23-2008, 1:43 AM
Sooooooooooooo.....who wants it? :D

Archie England
05-26-2008, 10:30 AM
pm me for further discussion. thanks