PDA

View Full Version : Help: Cracking Pecan & Walnut Bowls

Glenn Hodges
05-20-2008, 4:21 PM
A guy bought pecan and a walnut bowls from me about 5 years ago. He emailed me this week and said the pecan has a small crack and the walnut has some hair line cracks. He wants to know what he can do to prevent any more cracks. He said he has not had them in direct sunlight not been washing them in hot water. Your suggestions would be appreciated.

Steve Schlumpf
05-20-2008, 5:06 PM
Glenn - hopefully you'll get some folks a lot more knowledgable than me to chime in on this - but my first question is what kind of finish is on each bowl? I think the bowls are cracking because of small changes in moisture and, to me, if they were re-finished it may help.

robert hainstock
05-20-2008, 6:06 PM
The thing that is easy to forget is that wood, any wood is always moving. Many a long dried piece of mine has cracked for this reason. subtle changes in the atmosphere contribute to this. Sealing them up compleately seems to work best. This is why I most prefer the polys. Anyhow, it is going to happen with the changes of season with some pieces. :eek::eek::)
Bob

Glenn Hodges
05-20-2008, 7:11 PM
Steve, both bowls had the 1/3 rd each of polyurathne, turpentine, and tung oil--about 5 coats each.

Steve Schlumpf
05-20-2008, 7:14 PM
Glenn - I would have thought that would have sealed it but good! To my thinking, the only option is to put on a couple of additional coats of poly to seal up the wood.

Chris Padilla
05-20-2008, 7:26 PM
Wood: a fickle medium!! Tell him it just adds character to the piece and that wood is a natural product and subject to such defects over time.