PDA

View Full Version : Record 52 1/2D Vise

Ethan Sincox
05-20-2008, 3:05 PM
I suppose this would go under the Neander thread, being a bench vise question...

I found someone selling a Record 52 1/2D for $60. He's had it since 1981.

I'm looking for a vise for an up-and-coming bench I want to make and had been keeping an eye out for a 52 model. Didn't think I'd find one this soon, but...

Assuming it is in good condition, I think this is a good deal. Anyone agree or disagree? I'm not looking to gloat yet; just want to make sure it's a good deal with a SMC inquiry before I check it out.

Thanks.

Clint Jones
05-20-2008, 3:28 PM
Its a great deal. I had two and sold one for $160 easily. Mine was new in the box though. The vise is very well made. Be sure to check that the QR works ok.

Ethan Sincox
05-20-2008, 4:14 PM
I'll check that. The paint appears to be in good order, but it looks like there is a bit of light rust on the guide rods and vise screw. As long as that is superficial, would you agree it shouldn't be a problem?

Scott Springer
05-20-2008, 4:30 PM
That is a screaming deal as long as the vise is in good shape. Mild surface rust is not a big deal but if he's had it since 1981 you should closely inspect the screw and the engaging nut to make sure the threads aren't stripped over 25+ years of use.

I had a 53 that I sold on eBay a few years ago for over $200 and it was lightly used with superficial rust. Hope the vise is in good shape for you.

Scott

Johnny Kleso
05-20-2008, 7:53 PM
I'd say it would sell for well over $100 @eBay
maybe $150-$200 in fine condition

About two years ago I seen a 53 @eBay for $50 BIN (must pick--up) in ,AZ

I pulled the trigger even though I am in ,GA and emailed seller "Can I have UPS make pick-up you just have to wrap in cardboard.. shipping was less than $30 with UPS Call Tag :)

Ethan Sincox
05-21-2008, 9:05 AM
I checked with the owner and he said he inherited it from his brother in 1981. He's never used it and he doubts his brother used it much, either (if at all, as it isn't mounted to anything and there are no wooden faces mounted on the vise). He said he sprayed some white lithium grease on it and was able to work it just fine. If the threads and engaging nut are mostly worn from use, then I think it'll be ok.

I'm going to try and schedule a look at it this weekend. If it looks good, I'll leave the guys house $60 poorer (well, in cash, anyway).

Mark Singer
05-21-2008, 10:17 AM
Its a great vise. I have one on my back bench and have for years

Louis Rucci
05-21-2008, 9:49 PM
I'm not familiar with the Record 52 1/2D, but I want an Emmert Pattern makers vise.

Ethan Sincox
05-25-2008, 11:12 PM
OK; now it's a gloat. :)

Condition: Some minor scratches to the plates here and there; missing most of the chrome on the guide rods (only there where the back plate sat over it for 25 years, very light surface rust on the rest of the rods); a bit of gunk in the vice screw (easily removed with a nylon brush); the quick-release mechanism works like a charm; the bench dog is in good shape; the label is nice and clean.

I spent about 30 minutes or so, cleaning the grime and gunk and wiping the lightly rusted spots with a green nylon pad and mineral spirits. Here are the all-important photos...

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t125/esincox/RecordVice08.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t125/esincox/RecordVice07.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t125/esincox/RecordVice05.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t125/esincox/RecordVice09.jpg

Decision: Although the temptation to list this thing on the auction site and possibly triple my money is high, it is exactly what I wanted to put on my future bench, so I think this one is a keeper...

Final Purchase Price: $60

Any thoughts as to what I should put on the guide rods at this point? Would a simple wipe with WD40 be sufficient? Or should I use a white lithium grease? Or maybe just some crystalline wax?

Ray Gardiner
05-26-2008, 5:12 AM
Looks to be in pretty good condition. You got a bargain.

I have a 52 1/2D and the only lubricant I have ever used is sawdust....:rolleyes:

Seriously, If you use too much grease, the sawdust will just stick to it
and it will end up gummed up.

Tony Zaffuto
05-26-2008, 6:42 AM
I'd give the screws a light lubricant spray--preferably one that dries, just to make sure everything works smoothly. Afterthat, nothing. Years ago, I put a white lithium grease on screw and guide rods on one of my vises and it was a big mistake. No matter how I thought I had cleaned off the grease, I would find a smal spot on something I was working on!
T.Z.

Michael Faurot
05-26-2008, 1:19 PM
Any thoughts as to what I should put on the guide rods at this point? Would a simple wipe with WD40 be sufficient? Or should I use a white lithium grease? Or maybe just some crystalline wax?

You definitely don't want to put anything on it that will remain oily or greasy as that's just going to attract dirt and grime. I rub a stick of bee's wax over the threads of my vises, and other tools with threads.

Ron Bailey
05-27-2008, 2:19 AM
Highland Woodworking has a downloadable instruction sheet
for mounting quick release vises. It's in their "Library" section.
They sell Anant vises now - apparently Anant bought the tooling
for the Record vises.

I've had the Record 53 and 52 1/2 for years - they work great.
Installed on my current workbench, I found the steel dog on the
vise to be a little short, so I cut three square holes in the maple
jaw liner to accept my square bench dogs.

Ethan Sincox
05-27-2008, 8:44 AM
Great tips, Ron! Thanks for the advice. I'll go download those install plans this morning.

For anyone who cares to read, I did a little write-up of my purchase in my blog...

http://greystonegreen.blogspot.com/2008/05/new-record.html

Ron Bailey
05-27-2008, 1:22 PM
I saw the Anant vises the last time I was at Hardwick's Hardware
in Seattle. They looked quite good after a cursory examination and
Highland Woodworking gives them a good review - so that's what
I'd go for if I couldn't get a used Record. The prices of the new Anants
should also give something to compare against when ebaying.

The shipping on these is going to be substantial as they are heavy
and big.

Jerome Hanby
05-27-2008, 2:03 PM
OK; now it's a gloat. :)

Decision: Although the temptation to list this thing on the auction site and possibly triple my money is high, it is exactly what I wanted to put on my future bench, so I think this one is a keeper...

Final Purchase Price: $60

You know, if you could triple your money you are getting close to the Veritas twin screw territory.....

Ethan Sincox
05-27-2008, 3:22 PM
Eh... if I were to triple my money, I'd be more tempted to pick up the Veritas Small Plow Plane I'd been saving up for and then I would be back to having no vise.

When I talked to the guy, he said he knew he could probably sell it for two or three times his asking price on the auction site, but he hoped someone local might see it and actually put it to good use.

Once he said that, I pretty much dispelled any thoughts of listing it for a larger personal gain. Over the last year or two, I've had the luck of obtaining several older woodworking tools for less than they were worth and each time that person has indicated they knew they could make more for it but wanted it to go to someone who might use it and not just sell it again. I always get a really good personal feeling when I use any of those tools and I think that is the reason.

Besides... I might generate some bad woodworking karma if I were to do otherwise. I definitely don't want that.