PDA

View Full Version : First Burnside Sycamore Bowl

steven carter
05-20-2008, 2:50 PM
This is the first bowl from the sycamore tree I got when the highway department cut the tree from General Burnside's house. It was right beside a ditch that I could have walked through, but instead I went around to driveway(bridge) to get to it. (This is an inside joke to all you history buffs out there, if you don't get it then google burnside's bridge for the rest of the story. If you happen to live in Kentucky, the town of Burnside, near Somerset is named for General Burnside, and the modern phrase of sideburns is a takeoff from his name because of his prolific lamb chop sideburns.)

Enough trivia, the bowl is 11.5" x 3" with home made oil finish. The wood had a very soft spot in it that I left in to maximize the size.(I was afraid if I kept turning to get rid of it I would have ended up with an invisible bowl:mad:) The soft spot slightly became lower than the rest of the surrounding wood through sanding. You can see it in the right side of photo 1 and left side of the other 2. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm wondering if I should have tried some wood hardener on the soft area and if it would have helped? As it is my story is (and I'm sticking to it) it gives the bowl character.:cool:

Comments/answers greatly appreciated.

Steve

Steve Schlumpf
05-20-2008, 3:08 PM
Great looking bowl Steve! I love the historical connection! Beautiful wood, great form and a nice rich finish! Couldn't ask for anything more from a bowl!

As for your sanding issue - happens to me all the time with the spalted birch. You just have to be aware that the softer wood is going to sand away first and then just use light touches with the sander.

Bruce Pennell
05-20-2008, 3:20 PM
Steve the story alone doubled the price of the bowl, throw in the history lesson and maybe tripled the price. Great bowl, loved the story. Thanks ..Bruce

Chris Fierro
05-20-2008, 3:41 PM
General Burnside went on to become Governor of Rhode Island and then later U.S. Senator. Neat history.

Very nice bowl!

Glenn Hodges
05-20-2008, 4:30 PM
Beautiful sycamore, it can be bland or like this in older trees. You lucked up getting sycamore with so much character. Sometimes when I have a punky spot I use a wood hardner, sometimes I use thin CA gule. One characteristic of sycamore is that next to persimmon it about the most unstable wood you will ever work. When you think it is dry let it dry some more. Georgia natives are not impressed with Sherman nor Burnside.

Mike Cunningham
05-20-2008, 4:41 PM
Very nice bowl Steven........I've walked that bridge many times.
Mike

Keith Burns
05-20-2008, 5:04 PM
Very nice bowl with some nice history which in itself adds character.

Bernie Weishapl
05-20-2008, 6:01 PM
Great bowl with some great history Steven. Well done.

robert hainstock
05-20-2008, 6:39 PM
The road show guys call it provenence. It always adds to the price.:):):)
Bob

Jerry Lawrence
05-20-2008, 9:29 PM
Not to mention the art value to the piece. In the first picture, the grain pattern at the top reminded me immediately of Edvard Munch's painting "The Scream". However, if you're the religious type, it could be an image of the Virgin Mary...Hmmmmmm......