PDA

View Full Version : Completed Magazine Rack

NICK BARBOZA
05-20-2008, 12:26 PM
I just finished this magazine rack for a very good family friend. It is to replace an old veneered mahogany one. It is cherry and bird's eye maple. Its my design and my first time using a sliding dovetail (attaching the main "tower" to the legs). and it was also the first project i got to use my new SawStop and Jet planer on. i am amazed at the efficiency these tools allowed me. a huge step up from my previous work.

thanks for looking.
Nick

http://www.nwbwoodworks.com/images/magazinerack027.jpg

http://www.nwbwoodworks.com/images/magazinerack025.jpg

Chris Padilla
05-20-2008, 12:41 PM
Very nice job, Nick!

John Thompson
05-20-2008, 1:07 PM
Very attractive and nice work on the joints. But.. I am not totally convinced the machines you mentioned should take the credit you gave them. Well made furniture has been made for over 5000 years now and was long before Sawstop and Jet were around.

So.. I am going to assume they may have aided you and were perhaps better made than the tolerances of what you were using... but you were the one responsible for the end results as they can be achieved with crude tools for that matter.

Credit where credit is due... that be you!!

Sarge..

gary Zimmel
05-20-2008, 4:21 PM
Nice job Nick. Looks like it's already being put to good use.

glenn bradley
05-20-2008, 4:40 PM
Very nice job and design too.

Ron Jones near Indy
05-20-2008, 4:48 PM
Looks great!:):)You said it's your design. Did you draw it out in planning or design it as you worked? Either way a good job.

NICK BARBOZA
05-20-2008, 5:53 PM
thanks everybody!

I was mostly just really impressed with the performance of the new tools. Previously i did not have a planer so i was unable to work with many different thicknesses of lumber. but now with my bandsaw dialed in to resaw and the planer to clean up the cuts, many new doors have opened for me. also just the raw power and repeatablity of the sawstop is awesome! (from most of my previous TS experience being with a contractor saw...)

Ron: to answer your question, Both. i had an original idea drawn out on the white board i have in my shop and then had the thought of the dovetail which changed my direction slightly. i am the type that will have an original drawing mainly for dimensions and scale but from there i will design on the fly. i have been pretty lucky with my results working this way on all my projects.

cheers!
Nick

Lee Koepke
05-20-2008, 6:52 PM
nice job. I like the wood choice !!! Two of my favorite.

this is a project in my 'soon to be scheduled' category. Thanks for sharing.

Dewey Torres
05-20-2008, 7:20 PM
Nice...
What type of joinery for the legs?
Dewey

Jim Becker
05-20-2008, 7:46 PM
Nice work, Nick. That's a very useful project, too.

NICK BARBOZA
05-20-2008, 9:05 PM
dewey:
sliding dovetails on the legs. it was my first attempt at such a joint. i was pretty pleased. I will see if i have some pics on it in the morning and attach the pictures.

Nick

EDIT: added picture of sliding dovetails. This is prior to glue up, i machined the DT's long and them trimmed them afterwards.

http://www.nwbwoodworks.com/images/magazinerack007.jpg

Dewey Torres
05-21-2008, 4:04 PM
Oh... I see... the legs came out nice. Your fist attempt at sliding dovetails? Boy if you could have only seen mine... didn't turn out so well.
Good Job,
Dewey

Walt Caza
05-22-2008, 1:10 PM
Hi NICK,
I am just a sucker for nice figure, love the birdseye, glad you can enjoy tool upgrades..., and happy for you to apply a new-to-you wood joint.
Just look at the growth! But, I must remind you...this is only the beginning
of bigger and better things for you...now get back into that shop and show us some more!!

thanks for giving us a peek,

great work, what's next?
Walt
:)