PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip

Ron Hardy
05-19-2008, 9:36 PM
I've been in the Turners forum but thought this would be a better place to post this question. Wife and I are leaving for Mount Rushmore and the Crazy Horse sculpture tomorrow around noon or earlier. We will be stopping at the Amana Colonies in Iowa. Then onto South Dakota. Any recommendation on sites to see in between ? I've never been in that part of the States. Thanks in advance.

Lee Schierer
05-20-2008, 9:45 AM
You have to stop at Wall Drug and the Badlands. Even though Wall Drug is a giant tourist trap it is still fun. Besides you'll see signs for miles before you get there telling you how far away from it you are. Then there is the Hill City Train. Don't forget to check out Horsetheif lake behind mount Rushmore where part of the National Treaure movie was filmed. Take a ride on the Needles highway, the views are spectacular.

Jeff Bower
05-20-2008, 2:18 PM
The Woodsmith Store in Des Moines might be a good place to stop for a morning coffe, it's free there and bottled water too! Easy to get to off I-80, check their website for directions.

Joe Pelonio
05-20-2008, 2:42 PM
if you have the time and gas money, it's not that much farther to Yellowstone. If you take 90 to 14 it's a beautiful drive and will take you through Cody where they have the Buffalo Bill Museum.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-20-2008, 3:23 PM
Ron,

Devils Tower in Wyoming is just west of Rapid City, SD. It was that big rock you might have seen in ET. There is a trail around it that is an easy and spectacular hike.

Custer State Park is just south of Mount Rushmore....lots of buffalo and wild burros.

If you had the time and inclination, Yellowstone this time of year is incredible. The snow there will keep you out of part of the park but you won't have to fight the summer crowds. The rangers there can tell you when different states have there schools out for the summer. The crowds are terrible during the summer and at Christmas.

What ever you visit, remember the wild animals you see in those areas are just that....they are not tame...they are not pets.....
More people are injured by buffalo in Yellowstone and other places than by any other wild animal. They are WILD and they are just temporarily putting up with your presence.

Take cameras of all kinds. I first saw that part of the US in the mid-50's and it kept calling me back. Now you couldn't get me out of the Pacific Northwest with a load of explosives. The mountains get into your soul. You will enjoy the scenery!

Chris Padilla
05-20-2008, 4:50 PM
Devil's Tower is DEFINATELY something to see. Very , very cool! It is fun making the drive towards it as you sweep along catching glimpses of it here and there, getting larger and larger and more detailed.

I also recommend the Mammoth Tar Pit thingy in Hot Springs. Jewel Cave is around there somewhere, too.

I wonder how far along the Crazy Horse monument is? My GF (now wife) and I were there 10 years ago and the going was pretty slow at the time....

Rick Moyer
05-20-2008, 6:08 PM
Devil's Tower is DEFINATELY something to see. Very , very cool! It is fun making the drive towards it as you sweep along catching glimpses of it here and there, getting larger and larger and more detailed.

I also recommend the Mammoth Tar Pit thingy in Hot Springs. Jewel Cave is around there somewhere, too.

I wonder how far along the Crazy Horse monument is? My GF (now wife) and I were there 10 years ago and the going was pretty slow at the time....

Did about nine days in that area (Sturgis bike week) nearly four years ago and Crazy Horse was probably not much further along than when you saw it.
I wholeheartedly agree about Devil's Tower! That has to be one of the coolest things I've seen.

Pat Germain
05-20-2008, 10:13 PM
Ron,

Devils Tower in Wyoming is just west of Rapid City, SD. It was that big rock you might have seen in ET.

FYI, Devils Tower was featured prominently in Close Encounters of the Third Kind, but not at all in E.T. Same director, though. :)