PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything in between? Mafell-Harbor Freight dowel machines

Matt Ocel
05-19-2008, 8:51 PM
Does anybody make a duo dowel machine that is priced somewhere in between Mafell $800+ and Harbor Freight $70?
I don't want to spend $800 and HF's low price scares me about the quality.

I just got an order to build 11 96" X 42" removable screens. I want to use dowels and prefferably a hand held machine.

If there isn't anything in between i'll get a Dowel Max.

Bernhard Lampert
05-20-2008, 8:42 AM
I can't answer your question regarding a less costly alternative. BUT you will enjoy working with the duo doweler! I bought one a while ago and it does work flawlessly. Alignment is much improved compared to biscuit joinery (compared to an ELU). It's easier, faster and -of course- makes a stronger connection..
It is sort of similar to buying Festool equipment: You'll cry once, but after some time the pain from the high purchase cost begins to subside and the joy of using a well designed and quality machine will take over. And that feeling will last forever whereas the HF alternative will be a pain to use each time you'll reach for it.
..ok... 'nuff philosophical musings.

Cheers,
Bernhard

Chris Padilla
05-20-2008, 11:17 AM
$70 is cheap enough to risk it, IMO. Heck, buy two of them in case one wears out early. However, last I heard, they were on back order and may not be an option for you if time isn't on your side. Dowelmax splits the two. How about a Domino?

Matt Ocel
05-20-2008, 5:02 PM
$70 is cheap enough to risk it, IMO. Heck, buy two of them in case one wears out early. However, last I heard, they were on back order and may not be an option for you if time isn't on your side. Dowelmax splits the two. How about a Domino?

Chris -

If I buy a Domino am I stuck buying their tennons?

Greg Cole
05-20-2008, 5:17 PM
Matt,
You can make loose tenons pretty easily but they aren't the compressed kind the swell up with glue. Make the loose tenon fit snug it shouldn't be a big deal IMO.
Just about anyone who cuts loose tenons with a router makes their own. Lee Valley sells tenon stock too. Dimension (ie plane to thickness) what ever stock you are going to make tenons out of. Round over both the edges on one side & rip to whatever width you want (say 8mm for Domino tenons). Round over the other 2 edges and cut to length.
If I use my Domino for any exterior projects, I'll most likely make some out of mahogany or the like.

Greg