PDA

View Full Version : IR Compressor Question (and gloat)

Don Abele
04-08-2004, 2:15 PM
I got my ingersol rand air compressor in this afternoon (had to run home to help off-load it from the truck - no lift gate). Once I got it in the gar...shop...I noticed it does not come with a regulator. Guess I missed that when ordering it. Well, now I need a regulator. I know a bunch of you have recently gotten compressors, including the IR.

So what setup did you go with? I noticed that Northern has a regulator/filter/lubricator for $45 - sounds good. I won't be using a lubricator but would like a moisture filter.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Jim Becker
04-08-2004, 2:47 PM
Congrats on the new air machine, Don! You'll enjoy having it in your shop. I haven't purchased a filter/regulator yet for mine ('just using a small mini-regulator that I already had temporarily) but am looking at a setup similar to the one you describe. I suspect it almost doesn't matter what brand you go with since this is not a heavy duty situation, but you probably should go with a unit that has the larger 1/2" oe 3/8" connections, rather than just the 1/4" ports that some of the less expensive filter/regulators have. At least that's what I've gleaned from my "informal research".

Ken Garlock
04-08-2004, 4:33 PM
Hi Don. Good buy on the IR compressor. :cool:

When I was setting up my air system, I bought all my components from McMaster & Carr. They have a large selection of regulators, filters, ball valves, and anything else you might need. I specifically avoided any lubricators, or regulator/lubricator combinations. If you need to lub a tool, a couple drops of oil down the air connector is all that is needed. My goal was to have clean air in the shop, not oily air.

My IR compressor pumps out about 150 lbs into a 60 gal tank. The exit from the tank is a 1/2" threaded hole to which I connected a 1/2" ball valve. From the valve the air goes through a 24" steel braided flexible coupling to the coalescing filter and regulator mounted on the wall, and out to the multiple quick disconnects throughout the building via rigid 1/2" schedule "L" copper tubing. The regulator is set to 100 lbs which cover most tools. The finishing room drop has a regulator off the 100 lb line to step down the air for spray gun usage.

You might want to consider mounting the compressor on shock mounts to minimize the vibration/noise transfered to the floor. My unit weighs in at around 400 lbs, and it is mounted on 4 rubber mounts and those in turn are mounted on two lengths of 2x4 sitting on the concrete.

Oh yes, don't forget a small petcock at the bottom of the tank to blow out the water from time to time.

Chris Padilla
04-08-2004, 7:00 PM
Hi Don. Good buy on the IR compressor. :cool:

When I was setting up my air system, I bought all my components from McMaster & Carr. They have a large selection of regulators, filters, ball valves, and anything else you might need. I specifically avoided any lubricators, or regulator/lubricator combinations. If you need to lub a tool, a couple drops of oil down the air connector is all that is needed. My goal was to have clean air in the shop, not oily air.

My IR compressor pumps out about 150 lbs into a 60 gal tank. The exit from the tank is a 1/2" threaded hole to which I connected a 1/2" ball valve. From the valve the air goes through a 24" steel braided flexible coupling to the coalescing filter and regulator mounted on the wall, and out to the multiple quick disconnects throughout the building via rigid 1/2" schedule "L" copper tubing. The regulator is set to 100 lbs which cover most tools. The finishing room drop has a regulator off the 100 lb line to step down the air for spray gun usage.

You might want to consider mounting the compressor on shock mounts to minimize the vibration/noise transfered to the floor. My unit weighs in at around 400 lbs, and it is mounted on 4 rubber mounts and those in turn are mounted on two lengths of 2x4 sitting on the concrete.

Oh yes, don't forget a small petcock at the bottom of the tank to blow out the water from time to time.

Ken,

This has me thinking...since my compressor is mounted high over head, I could put in a large diameter tube (copper?) straight down from the bottom of the tank. This could serve as a catch for water thus keeping it out of the tank (assuming I regularly blow it out). I think I'll sleep better at night. Ever since Mr. Outten scared the bejesus out of me with exploding tanks, I have been keeping mine empty since I don't use it but on the weekends. :)

Kirk (KC) Constable
04-08-2004, 7:25 PM
The IR we got for the mesquite outfit came with a regulator...which is one of the reasons we got it...the big PC I bought for my shop earlier didn't come with one.

KC

Robert Ducharme
04-08-2004, 11:21 PM
I just purchased some combined regulator/filters from the following location:

RegulatorStore.com an Industrial Automation Components, Inc. web catalog.

email: info@indautomation.com
phone: 1-800-511-0100

86136 ARO Piggyback 86136 for $86.70 Filter Drain Options = Manual Flex
Filter/Regulator w/Gauge Drain - Standard
1/2" NPT Mounting Bracket Options = Wall
(Shipped) Mount Bracket & Nut 86015 (+$5.78)

This seems like a pretty good configuration and can handle pressures up to 175# in the line. You have to be careful of some of the cheap ones you find on the web. Check the specs because you do not want it to only handle 120# (see these quite often) and have it blow out at a higher pressure.