PDA

View Full Version : Need a new Camera advice please

Bruce Pennell
05-19-2008, 4:49 PM
Im looking at this Canon (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3587213&Sku=C930-1384) at Tiger Direct, any advice or direction would greatly be appreciated. I am not into camera's, I use it just for fun. I'm not real tech savy when it comes to camera's. Would like to keep it simple, point and shot. I want to be able to take nice shots of my turnings. Thanks in advance for all the help....Bruce

Dean Matthews
05-19-2008, 5:04 PM
anytime someone has asked me about a camera recently I have pointed them to the Canon SD750.... it is a GREAT camera. It supports >2GB cards and it is 7.1 Mega Pixels.

The big PLUS to this camera is the very large view screen on the back... 3.5" There is no view finder but the LCD is awesome. The camera is also very compact and can fit in a back pocket.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=145&modelid=14919

Barry Reade
05-19-2008, 5:16 PM
I hate cameras but like to record the things that i have done. What Dean said would work great. You want something with a built in zoom like the Canon SD750 has. It is a 3X opticalzoom so you can zero in on your work. Check it out and the price is right. Oh, I am using a Fuji 7Mp that my wife cast off and it isn't what I would have bought but, it has been beat up and abused and just keeps on working. put a new battery in it last year and it is going into its 5th year

Bruce Pennell
05-19-2008, 5:46 PM
Thanks just found it at Wally World for $169...Thanks Bruce

Paul Heely
05-19-2008, 6:08 PM
If you are looking for something with a big screen and a view finder take a look at the SD1000. If the view finder is not important to you then you can't go wrong with the SD750.

--
Paul

Brian Kent
05-19-2008, 6:29 PM
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S750 is comparable in cost and features. I like the color balance slightly better, but Canons are also excellent.

http://www.imaging-resource.com
has excellent samples of photos that you can try out on your computer screen and printer as well. You can select by company, cost, megapixels, or other criteria.

Bruce Pennell
05-19-2008, 6:29 PM
Thanks Paul I think the SD750 should fit my needs, thanks ...Bruce

Scott Hubl
05-19-2008, 6:35 PM
I bought myself a Nikon D50 a few years ago with a couple of lenses.
Was messin with Photoshop more at the time.

I do need to take it in for repair after 3 years.:(

Been borrowing my daughters point n shoot.:o

Bruce Pennell
05-19-2008, 6:46 PM
Brian very nice link, thanks. Scott like I say simple, point and shoot sounds like the way to go for me. I really like the idea of a pocket camera. Nice! Can't believe the storage w/ the right SD card. Will probably stop at Wally World tomorrow to see if they have the Canon SD750 in stock, if not I'll order it online. That was easy thanks for all the help everyone....Bruce

Steven DeMars
05-19-2008, 7:15 PM
Nothing beats the Canon Power Shot Series for simplicity & durability . . . .

Mike Berndt
05-19-2008, 7:30 PM
I have had great luck and experiences with my older CanonPowershot A 520. picture clarity and size present little issues trying to post on messageboards. Checkout this picture!!!

http://media3.dropshots.com/photos/171948/20080502/154743.jpg (http://www.dropshots.com/)

Bruce Pennell
05-19-2008, 7:44 PM
Thanks Steve and Mike everyone sure made it easy for me, I check with Wally World tomorrow to see if they have one in stock, if not I'll do the online thing. Thanks ...Bruce

sascha gast
05-19-2008, 7:48 PM
Nikon D3 and 24-70 f/2.8 make a nice pen camera:D:D:D

but any point and shoot will do, just make sure you post pictures in sRGB colorspace so the colors look good on every bodies browser

Bruce Pennell
05-19-2008, 7:56 PM
Sascha whats a "sRGB colorspace" your way over my camera tech skills? I shot, resize with Gimp and post, anything above that I need a lesson in. Thanks Bruce

sascha gast
05-20-2008, 1:49 AM
chances are the camera is already using that color gamut. I never used gimp, but i'm sure there is a way to check.
sRGB just looks better in most browsers, they can't handle Adobe RGB for example and the colors look dark and washed out.

John Derbabian
05-20-2008, 7:06 AM
One area I do have a lot of experiece in (certainly not turning) is photography. The camera you have selected is a good P&S camera for the money. I bought both my daughters the same camera. They since have both moved on to DSLR cameras but both continue to use the 590. Very good picture quality, excellent macro shots, and easy to use.

Gordon Seto
05-20-2008, 8:56 AM
Today's inexpensive point and shoot is more than adequate for most of us.
But for us who need reading glasses because of presbyopia, the most important part is being able to see what we are aiming and the tiny function feature symbols . The control buttons are so tiny and sensitive and I bumped into them accidentally all the time. We will never know until we upload and view them on the monitor.

My first digital has no view finder; impossible to see the screen under the sun. (May be the new flat screen technology has solved the problem) My Cannon Powershot S2 IS is more than anything I would ever need. But I am looking for a newer camera with bigger screen.

Another feature needed for using in photo tents is being able to manually override the automatic flash to avoid the hot spot and harsh shadows.

Bruce Pennell
05-20-2008, 10:18 AM
Thanks Guy's for all the advice. Will keep you updated when I pick up my new camera...Thanks Bruce

Curt Harms
05-20-2008, 11:01 AM
Today's inexpensive point and shoot is more than adequate for most of us.
But for us who need reading glasses because of presbyopia, the most important part is being able to see what we are aiming and the tiny function feature symbols . The control buttons are so tiny and sensitive and I bumped into them accidentally all the time. We will never know until we upload and view them on the monitor.

My first digital has no view finder; impossible to see the screen under the sun. (May be the new flat screen technology has solved the problem) My Cannon Powershot S2 IS is more than anything I would ever need. But I am looking for a newer camera with bigger screen.

Another feature needed for using in photo tents is being able to manually override the automatic flash to avoid the hot spot and harsh shadows.

Canon S5IS did it for me. 12X zoom point & shoot but with some spiffy functions if I knew what they did:o. Two complaints about that camera--the lens cap comes off too easily (designed that way. Turning the camera on with a strongly attached lens cap still on kills the motor apparently) and the SD card and batteries share a compartment. The compartment cover seems flimsy but I'm careful with it and so far so good. The image quality is quite good.

allen norris
05-20-2008, 1:20 PM
I got my Canon Power Shot A530 from an ebay auction, and it works really nicely. The 4x optical zoom allows nice variety, and I have 4 different levels of resolution. I'd like to get a digital SLR, but that'll wait awhile. Rather than pay retail, check out the Public Surplus auction site, they frequently have digital cameras, or the bay.

allen norris

John Grabowski
05-21-2008, 1:35 PM
I have to offer this out there for you guys into photography. There is a free downloadable program that allows you to crop and resize pics that is terribly simple to use. Its called Irfanview it is http://www.irfanview.com/

Its very simple.

John G

Bruce Pennell
05-21-2008, 1:49 PM
Thanks John, My OS is Linux so I use Gimp, yours isn't compatible with Linux. Hope some Window users will benefit from it. Thanks for the link...Bruce