PDA

View Full Version : Cutting dies on a laser?

Peter Boyford
05-19-2008, 4:07 PM
I was told today, that someone somewhere was manufacturing dies (for die presses) using a laser system. Can this really be true? If so - how? Which substrate? Method?

Best regards

Peter

Joe Pelonio
05-19-2008, 5:13 PM
That would probably be a high powered yag, not a CO2 system.

Scott Shepherd
05-19-2008, 5:24 PM
Might be talking about Steel Rule Die's. I think there are people using the laser to make them.

Doug Griffith
05-19-2008, 5:36 PM
I had some beautiful steel rule dies made by a company called Appledie that were laser cut. The material is 3/4" plywood. Not sure of the wattage but they cut steel as well.

James A. Wolfe
05-19-2008, 7:16 PM
There are a lot (and probably a majority) of dies made using a laser in part of the process. We use high speed steel rule dies in the production of pasteboard products like pop cartons. The substrate is usually a good quality plywood, 1/2" - 3/4" baltic birch and the slots for the die are cut using a laser. The labeling and other identifying info is burned into it as well. The die makers then add the steel rule to form the cutting/creasing edges. A great blending of computer guided accuracy and the art of making dies.

Jim

Doug Griffith
05-20-2008, 11:40 AM
Using a laser also opens up opportunities. I designed my substrate with outer locating holes that I later inserted linear bushings. I also had them cut matching components with dowel holes that alowed me to create simple die fixtures. Everything aligned perfectly.