PDA

View Full Version : Dog Ramp: To Build or Buy?

Pat Germain
05-19-2008, 3:22 PM
My friend's aging basset hound is having difficulty climbing stairs. He asked me if I could make him a narrow ramp to fit over the stairs off to one side to help the dog. This would be for two sets of short stairs with a landing in-between.

I've seen dog ramps available online, but they're larger than needed for this application. Also, this situation would require buying two ramps. I was thinking it wouldn't be too hard to build these ramps to help the basset. Also, I think I could make them look nice and possibly match the stairs using my basic woodworking skills. The part where the dog would walk might be covered in carpet or rubber.

What do you folks think? Has anyone installed or built such a ramp?

Thanks.

Lori Kleinberg
05-19-2008, 4:20 PM
I have never made a ramp, but have done lots of doggie steps. I think you should give it a try. You can even use small cross pieces for the dog to brace against. If you do decide to do it, please post pics.

David G Baker
05-19-2008, 5:45 PM
Pat,
This has nothing to do with ramp building but rather the health of your basset. A friend of mine had a basset that had severe arthritis and had to be helped up steps and into vehicles. A vet prescribed some arthritis medication and in a short period of time the dog was running around like a puppy and climbing things he hadn't climbed in years.
Thought I would mention this in case that was your basset's problem. If not, someone else will have to help with the ramp building.

Pat Germain
05-19-2008, 6:00 PM
Lori, I will post pics if build the basset ramp.

David, it's actually my friend's basset. (I have beagles.) This basset has in fact been helped greatly by arthritis meds, but could still benefit from a nice ramp in lieu of stairs.

Dewey Torres
05-19-2008, 6:01 PM
Dog ramp
Work Bench
Hardwood floor install

Hmmm... the projects are stacking pretty quick for 1 week wouldn't you say?
Dewey

Pat Germain
05-19-2008, 6:11 PM
^^ Oh, dude, you have no idea. Dear daughter also wants a bed and Mrs. Pat is forever requesting more bookcases, shelves and cabinets. Oh, and she wants plantation shutters; now! (She saw Norm do it in twenty minutes, so what's the big deal?)

Hopefully, Operation Basset Ramp will be quick and simple to execute.

Jim Becker
05-19-2008, 7:35 PM
Pat, you should know that any project that really needs to be quick and simple will be the most complicated and frustrating thing you'll do all year! Mr. Murphy guarantees that... ;)

Russ Filtz
05-20-2008, 7:49 AM
DO IT! The dog won't be able to pick apart your mistakes and "hound" you! :D