PDA

View Full Version : This French polish thing really works

Zahid Naqvi
05-19-2008, 2:47 PM
I'm so excited to finally get a handle on any finishing technique I just had to share. Most of my close WWing friends know that this is the aspect of WWing I hate the second most (sanding is #1). I read Jef Jewitt's "great wood finishes" several times, that and most of the opinions on the web suggest the regimen of sanding from 320 or 400 grit to gradually work through grits and culminating in pumice and rotten stone (for glossy finish). That just sounded too tedious and involved to me, remember this is not my favorite part of WWing.

As usual I call my go to guy, Dennis Peacock, no luck he's MIA. So I go through my list of book marks to see if I can find any thing that does not require two hours of sanding and rubbing. Then I discover this page (http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Technique/Finish/FrenchPolish/frenchpolish1.html). It's still longer than what I had hoped for but does not involve pumice and rotten stone and seems like it can be done in one session. So here is what I did, in case someone can make any use of it.

1. I gave up on brushing shellac after the first coat, I just couldn't get even enough coats, despite using an artists brush. I switched to padding and it worked great, perhaps because that is what I am used to for most other finishes I have used in the past. So I built up about 7 coats of 1-1/2 # cut padded shellac applied over 3 days and let it cure for abour 4 days.

2. I see several brush marks from the first coat and some spots where there are drips, plus some other minor blemishes. Since I have a thick enough coat I start with 320 grit sand paper. Backed with a wooden block I sand the surface enough to get an even scratch pattern. There are still some "low spots" I can't get to because if I try to get to them I know I will completely sand-off the shellac from the adjoining areas. I know I will get these at the end so nothing to worry.

3. Next is an even lighter sanding with 400 grit, using hands for backing. This paper clogs much faster so I change sandpaper frequently.

4. Next up 800 grit, again using hands for backing. This doesn't create much dust but I can see the pores starting to show up due to the white shellac powder getting into them.

5. I clean up the board with mineral spirits.

6. This is followed by a good rubdown using a 0000 steel wool pad, using mineral spirits as lube.

7. followed by another cleanup using mineral spirits.

At this point the wood surface is acceptable at a very dull satin, but still has a "dry look" to it, you how how if you sand a finish and even though it is squeaky clean it still looks like there is still some dust on it because of the scratch pattern of sanding. Time for the French polish thing.....

8. I make a new pad for the polish, load it from the inside with the same 1.5 cut shellac, and dab it a few time on a scrap board to make sure the shellac is not dripping. Now I focus on a small 2 ft long section, drop a couple of drops of mineral oil and spread it our with my fingers and start doing the air plane take off and landing thing with the shellac pad. The first few stroker/rubs feel slippery, but then I start falling into a rhythm. After a while I star moving towards the section of the board that wasn't oiled, expecting that the pad will start catching it because of the lack of oil. But I guess the pad must have picked up all the oil from the previous section because I never feel a difference in the surface friction. As I apply the shellac I can see the evaporating trail but after a while the evaporating trail starts to disappear, I thought I had dried out the pad, dab it on the scrap, it still has shellac. So I keep doing the airplane landing and takeoff thing, with a slightly increased speed. The "wet look" is persisting though, I am starting to think I will have to clean off this oil because the pad is not picking it up. After going at it for about 5-7 mins on a stile 4.5" by 3ft. I stop and touch the surface to determine how much oil is still present, and that's when I realize the surface it not wet it is "glossy" :D:D
The board is shining so well it looks like it is wet. I can read the label of a bottle from the reflection.

This is so much easier than I thought it would be, I just can't believe how good the finished board looks. So much for pumice and rotten stone :rolleyes: I think I have found my regimen for "french polish"

Here are a few lessons learned or mistakes made, depending on how you look at it.

1. This is one of those duh! things, don't use the solvent you mixed with the finish as the cleaner. That is, if you are using DNA to thin/mix shellac do not use it for post sanding cleanup.

2. If you build a thick enough layer of finish the quality of the post application surface is not that critical, because the sanding will take care of all application marks.

3. Always load the shellac pad from the inside, never "dip" it in the shellac, it dries too fast and the first time you touch the pad on a board it will always leave a puddle.

4. Thin coats dry faster but you can apply more coats per session. Thick coats dry slower but you need fewer coats.

5. The automobile rubbing compound is crap for WWing, the wax gets lodged in the pores and looks horrible and is a pain to cleanup. I think any waxy polishing compound would have to be color matched with the wood to make sure it is not visible when applied on a board that does not have the pores filled.

6. No matter what you read and learn from others, there is no substitute for personal experience/experimentation.

Another thing I can mark off my "to learn" list

Dave Anderson NH
05-19-2008, 3:23 PM
I'm glad to see you had great success and it came out well Zahid. One final note for you to lower risk in the future. Replace the wood sanding block with a felt block. You are much less likely to snag it on a corner or have it dig in to your work if you lose your concentration for a minute. DAMHIKT. A felt block is much more forgiving overall and you are also less likely to cut through the finish near edges and in corners.

Ross Lowry
05-19-2008, 3:47 PM
Zahid, since you have this thing down pretty good, what address do you want me to send my things to for you to french polish? ;>)

Chris Padilla
05-19-2008, 4:04 PM
Uhhhh, pictures? Where for art thou pictures?!?! :confused:

Prashun Patel
05-19-2008, 4:19 PM
THanks for your post, Zahid. I'm having trouble learning how to pad shellac (despite reading many articles on the subject). Your descriptions are insightful in a way a "newbie-to-the-process's" can be.

Zahid Naqvi
05-19-2008, 4:19 PM
Dave, thanks. I don't have a felt block but I have used a foam dry-erase board eraser before for ocassions when I do not want a hard object bearing down. This was just the back end one stile of a bed, I have plenty more surface to cover, perhaps I will use the foam block rest of the way (it also clogs much slower)

Chris, I will post pictures, just that I haven't stopped jumping up and down yet ;)

Ken Fitzgerald
05-19-2008, 4:31 PM
Chris, I will post pictures, just that I haven't stopped jumping up and down yet ;)

Yeah Chris......that would just make for blurred photos!;)

Congrats on the new skill Zahid!

Chris Padilla
05-19-2008, 4:34 PM
Yeah Chris......that would just make for blurred photos!;)

...and runs, drips, and spilled finish!! After that, what would the point of posting pics of that mess be? How NOT to finish something? But then why the jumping up and down in the first place....................what was I talking about?? :confused: :confused:

Zahid Naqvi
05-19-2008, 4:54 PM
There you go, this on Walnut without any filler. The rail on the right side has been sanded all the way to the steel wool.

Joe Cunningham
05-19-2008, 4:56 PM
Great post, thanks. I had tried a "sorta, kinda, french polish", but one of my fatal mistakes seems to be the "dab the pad in the shellac" rather than adding the shellac to the inside of the pad.

I'll give it a go using this technique.

Zahid Naqvi
05-19-2008, 5:00 PM
Zahid, since you have this thing down pretty good, what address do you want me to send my things to for you to french polish? ;>)

Dang! I should have read this before I posted the picture, there goes my chance of getting a comission :rolleyes:

Zahid Naqvi
05-19-2008, 5:07 PM
Great post, thanks. I had tried a "sorta, kinda, french polish", but one of my fatal mistakes seems to be the "dab the pad in the shellac" rather than adding the shellac to the inside of the pad.

I'll give it a go using this technique.

Joe, I've tried it both ways and you would not believe how much difference it makes. The next time I do it I will brush the shellac for building the initial layer of finish, and leave the padding for the polish stage. I didn't realize there was post shellac sanding involved so I was being too finicky about the surface left by brushed shellac. Now I know brush marks are easily evened out by sanding. Plus I think brushing builds the finish layer much faster than padding, but padding would require less sanding as it leaves a much better surface. So take your pick.

Jim Becker
05-19-2008, 7:46 PM
Shiny. Very shiny. But do you have to learn how to speak French, too??? :D (Nice work, Zahid!)

Alfred Cole
05-21-2008, 3:12 AM
Zahid,

I'm a newbie to this forum but not to woodworking. I am also a great advocate of using shellac.
i read your account of how you use shellac and perhaps I can add a few points.

First one is I don't use a brush. A brush suitable for shellac work is a very expensive item and looks akin to a lady's blusher brush. Some even use one.
I use a rubber (no jokes please) That's the name old English finisher used and still use and it is used here in Oz. The rubber is traditionally made by taking a ball of unmedicated cotton wool a bit more in diameter than a baseball and a piece of lint free material, preferably linen about nine inches square. I use old pillow cases and make two rubbers. This is folded as in the photos so you end up with a pad which is pointed at one end. Useful for getting into tight spots. the base should be wrinkle free. To charge the rubber I use a squeeze bottle and always charge the rubber from the back. This means any rubbish is automatically filtered. It also provides a reservoir so as you work just a simple squeeze puts out more shellac.
When applying shellac I sand the wood to about 180-220 grit depending on the hardness of the wood, then apply two coats using a circular motion. When it's dry, which only takes a few minutes I sand back the nibs very lightly only enough to take off the hairiness. I give it a quick brush to get the worst dust off but I am not fussy. The dust of the wood and shellac will be pushed into the grain as I continue. After that I simply lay down more coats of shellac mainly in a circular motion. The initial sanding should have produced an acceptable surface and by not laying down thick coats, which brushing is prone to do, there is little need to sand again. Any problems can usually be dealt with by using the second rubber charged with meth. Final coats which are called a pull over are brought to a shine, if that is what you are seeking, by charging the shellac rubber with meth. It dilutes the shellac and aids the shine.
Like you I'm no fan of sanding and this method works as you can see on the vanity unit I have just completed, which was done by the method above.
I always mix my own shellac from flakes making just about enough for the job in hand so it is always fresh. The rubber can be stored in airtight jars so there is no brush cleaning and they are always ready for use.
Properly mixed there is no need to wait for shellac to "cure". It is an evaporative finish. When it's dry it's done.
The other great thing about shellac is that mistakes are so easily corrected. My wife was helping me to shellac the interior woodwork of our yacht and made a simple mistake. She was too generous in application. It was a hot day and the cupboard door was in direct 35 celcius sunlight. That's about 95 farenhite. The finish crocodiled badly and she was horrified. All that was needed to deal with the problem was to take the meth rubber and rub over the finish again. I melted the shellac and redistributed it properly

Hope you understand my descriptions and the length of this reply.

Jerry

War does not decide who is right. War only decides who is left

Alfred Cole
05-21-2008, 3:23 AM
Sorry had to get rest of rubber making and view of vanity unit on second submission.

I am a simple soul and this pound mix you use is beyond me. When mixing shellac I simply put the amount of flakes I think I will need in a jar and just cover them with meth.

Jerry

War does not decide who is right. War only decides who is left

Larry Fox
05-21-2008, 8:28 AM
Great post Zahid. French Polish is one of my favorite finishing techniques - I actually find it very enjoyable to do and the results are outstanding.

In addition to the article that you post, there is also this one that I have found helpful.

http://www.milburnguitars.com/fpbannerframes.html

For those "spray heads" out there (myself included), I have had good results spraying down the first couple base coats of shellac before switching to the rubbing / padding sessions.

Jim Becker
05-21-2008, 8:49 AM
Thanks for the great information, Jerry!!