PDA

View Full Version : Lost most of my tools

Jeff Cremers
05-19-2008, 2:21 PM
Well my wife and I have put an offer in on a house and are putting ours on the market. Well to stage the house we removed some clutter. Piano and armoire and extra clothes and such. Well to make the garage clean for the prospective buyers I decided to put most of my tools in storage with the household stuff. well after about a week of having the storage unit and just loading some more stuff in there with help form my neighbor. I got a call the next day saying it was broke into with 56 other units and they mostly went after tools according to the lady at Public storage.

Well they took all my tools but the tablesaw, bandsaw and lathe that I still had in my garage.
I had some small hand tools still on a peg board but other than that its gone.

My homeowners will cover up to 4,800 but it still pisses me off. I hate thieves. Lowest scum on earth right next to most politicians. Also for some reason I can't grasp my LOML put our silverware in there as well. It was in our china cabinet not taking up much room and she decided to put it in there. So thats an extra grand off of my new tool purchases.
Its hard to remember its only stuff when it happens to you, but I'm trying.
Just wanted to share,
Jeff

Lee Koepke
05-19-2008, 2:26 PM
very sorry to hear that.

J. Z. Guest
05-19-2008, 2:27 PM
Sorry to hear it Jeff. I agree, it is low. However, I would hope your insurance agent would go after the Public Storage people to have them chip in too.

This is one of those things that one doesn't think of until it happens. We find out that our coverage isn't adequate. I had a scooter crash last year, and found out that State Farm would only pay for my helmet and the bike. Armored jacket, gloves, armored pants, boots. No can do. I asked them to confirm that they would rather pay hospital bills, which will cost a lot more than the $1000 for my safety gear.

We should use this as a reminder to consider add riders to our homeowners insurance. I'll be adding one to my motorcycle insurance, that's for sure.

alex grams
05-19-2008, 2:27 PM
I feel your pain. I have no tolerance for people who victimize others. My father spent years working on our house, and rebuilt our front entry and put in nice stainglass gas sealed doors, only to have someone drive by and shoot it with a pellet gun. It could cost nearly 1000$ to have the glass replaced and the door resealed. It sucks that someone has to do stuff like that.

I couldn't tell you have many times someone smashed my parents mailbox in (it was right under a streetlight, so i guess it was a good target). Finally my dad put a 6x6 post in the ground in chunk of concrete, and made a SUPER heavy duty box that would take a jackhammer to smash in. One day we heard a huge clink in the middle of the night, only to come out and see that someone had broken a wooden bat over the mailbox, which was unscathed.

I hope someones hands were ringing for weeks on end from that one.

Jeff Cremers
05-19-2008, 2:29 PM
I opted out of Public Storage's insurance. and to top it off they had No cameras at all there.

Matt Woessner
05-19-2008, 2:33 PM
To cover yourself, take pictures of everything you own. I have a good friend in the insurance business, and he said with pictures you can get back almost everything. I put my pictures in a safety deposit box. Sorry to hear that.

Lee Koepke
05-19-2008, 2:37 PM
the more I think about it, something I have always meant to do, inventory and document my tools ( and other valuables )

with the digital age, it should be easier than in the past.

Jeff Cremers
05-19-2008, 2:38 PM
Thats a good idea Matt, also to take pictures of the serial numbers as well. Remembering everything is going to be hard. I have some of these tools since I started driving.
Only one painting that My wife's grandmother painted of my wife when she was a kid was slightly damaged, but the rest of her stuff was ok.
Jeff

Jeff Cremers
05-19-2008, 2:40 PM
Yep great idea for people to do. One hour of your time and one cd worth a pictures can really come in handy if something like this happens.

JohnT Fitzgerald
05-19-2008, 2:42 PM
you might want to keep your eye on local flemarkets or Craigslist - they have to pawn that stuff off somewhere.

David DeCristoforo
05-19-2008, 2:47 PM
I hate it when that happens. I had a bunch of tools ripped off once out of a private storage shed. I put a curse on the thief but I never did find out if it worked or not. If you ever see a guy with his hands growing directly out of his shoulders, one eye in the middle of his forehead and no mouth, that's the SOB that stole my tools....

BTW, I always get the insurance! If the rental agreement does not specifically state that you are waiving your rights to protection, you may still have recourse. Even if it does, if it's not worded just so, you may still be able to challenge it. But you would have to ask a lawyer to read it.

Matt Meiser
05-19-2008, 2:49 PM
That really stinks. We had to put virtually all of our stuff in storage when we moved and I had a discussion about it with my insurance agent because I was worried about something like that.

Breaking into 56 units would have taken a long time. I hope the cops are looking into what went on pretty hard.

I agree with David that you should look into their actual liability. Despite any signs they had posted, they might still have some if they were somehow negligent. I had a car broken into at a body shop when I was into car audio. The shops insurance ended up paying because the shop knew I had valuable equipment in the car and had specifically told me that my car would be put in the shop at night. They were responsible for all the damage to the car and the equipment, though I ended up getting a pittance on that part because I hadn't kept receipts--I got rid of them after warranties ran out. I'll never do that again.

Judy Kingery
05-19-2008, 2:53 PM
Jeff,

So sorry to hear that happened. I agree, anyone who victimizes someone else regardless, is the lowest of the low. John had a really good idea, to keep an eye on pawn shops and flea markets in your area and I'd add a little footnote to that, too, be sure to file a police report.

Then actually, if you see something and identify it as yours, call your case detective and tell him. They may or may not be able to trace the thieves of course. Sometimes, however, it works and the people who committed the theft then can - and should be - prosecuted for ripping you off. Best to you, Jude

Kyle Kraft
05-19-2008, 3:04 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss. Video inventory of everything, taking care to get a shot of the nameplates. Store the tape off site. You'd be surprised how much of your stuff you can shoot in an hour.

Clara Koss
05-19-2008, 3:05 PM
Well my wife and I have put an offer in on a house and are putting ours on the market. Well to stage the house we removed some clutter. Piano and armoire and extra clothes and such. Well to make the garage clean for the prospective buyers I decided to put most of my tools in storage with the household stuff. well after about a week of having the storage unit and just loading some more stuff in there with help form my neighbor. I got a call the next day saying it was broke into with 56 other units and they mostly went after tools according to the lady at Public storage.

Well they took all my tools but the tablesaw, bandsaw and lathe that I still had in my garage.
I had some small hand tools still on a peg board but other than that its gone.

My homeowners will cover up to 4,800 but it still pisses me off. I hate thieves. Lowest scum on earth right next to most politicians. Also for some reason I can't grasp my LOML put our silverware in there as well. It was in our china cabinet not taking up much room and she decided to put it in there. So thats an extra grand off of my new tool purchases.
Its hard to remember its only stuff when it happens to you, but I'm trying.
Just wanted to share,
Jeff
it's only stuff but it's YOUR hard worked for stuff and i feel for you...you spent time and money picking out just the right tools for you and now you have to do it again... i understand... it leaves a person less trusting...:mad:

Bill Wyko
05-19-2008, 3:06 PM
I have a radial arm saw if you need it. You can have it. It won't fit in my shop. My business has been bugularized many times in 17 years, I know how you feel. Sounds to me like someone at this storage place may have given information to these thieves. 50 units and no one saw or heard anything? Seems a little too convienent. Have there been other storage places in your area with these problems? I'm very sorry for your loss, I hope they catch someone. You might place an add in the paper and craigs list for tools like yours in the want to buy section. See if they are stupid enough to try to sell them back to you. I put one of the guys that ripped me off in prison for 8 years this way. If I hadn't done my own investigation, nothing would have ever been done. Don't try to buy from them though, let the cops handle that. Good luck.

Vince Shriver
05-19-2008, 3:35 PM
I really do feel bad for you. I have been ripped off and I know the feeling. Hopefully they's find the low-lifes that did this. Vince

Larry Fox
05-19-2008, 3:49 PM
Sounds to me like someone at this storage place may have given information to these thieves. 50 units and no one saw or heard anything? Seems a little too convienent.

Had the very same thought as I was reading through the post. No cameras, 56 units targeting tools. OP - do you know if any of the other units were storing a lot of tools? Out of all the units in a typical storate place, picking the ones with the highest density of tools stored sounds fishy.

Either way - sorry for your loss. Regardless of what it is, I hate being stolen from.

Mike Wilkins
05-19-2008, 4:07 PM
Jeff, sorry for your loss. Been in your shoes one time with just a couple of boxes of small power and hand tools taken from storage.
Jeremy. The homeowners policy does not cover motorized vehicles, unless they are used to service your property or assist the handicapped. Sorry.

Mike Henderson
05-19-2008, 5:16 PM
I really feel for you. That would ____ me off so bad. I just loath people who prey on good honest people. Bloodsuckers on society.

The storage people have been in business for a long time and have been in these situations before. I would bet that their contract holds them blameless if you didn't take the insurance. But it's worth a try.

Mike

Richard M. Wolfe
05-19-2008, 5:37 PM
Ditto on the pawn shops. I had a couple things stolen and a few days later they showed up in a local pawn shop. I didn't have documentation but being the size town and situation the local constabulary believed me so I was able to get my stuff back. I don't know the letter of the law in that situation, but I had to pay for them to get them back. Although I might have been able to get my stuff without paying elected to pay (not a huge amount) to make a better impression on my thick skull about documentation and security as regards my equipment.

Carl Fox
05-19-2008, 5:41 PM
I'm really sorry to hear this. Tools aren't just stuff to me. They are more on the emotional level of cars, or pets. Thieves are scum. Sometimes I think the Arabs have the right idea. They only get caught twice.

Of course politicians are only thieves in $2000 suits.

The worst part is that your stuff will probably show up on craigslist and one of your buddy's here might end up buying it.

Jason Roehl
05-19-2008, 5:42 PM
Jeff, I know exactly what you're feeling right now. It's been about 4 years since someone let themselves into my garage and walked off with about $2500 in tools. My homeowner's covered it all, but it still sucked. Fortunately, I had pretty much all my receipts, some of them going back 10 years, and that even helped me figure out what exactly was missing (let's just say my garage wasn't real organized). The worst of it was the metal tool chest they took with a good portion of my mechanics tools in it--I had quite a few one-off tools in there that I never did remember until the next time I needed it: "Oh, yeah, I used to have one of those thingamabobs for taking apart this here Ford truck, but it was in that toolbox that grew legs..."

Steven DeMars
05-19-2008, 6:12 PM
Contact pawn shops within driving distance . . . . do not ask "did someone come in with such & such" . . . . Simply pick an item or two of yours and ask, I'm looking for a biscuit joiner, etc . . . .anychance you got one . . .

Also run an add on Craigslist looking to buy woodworking tools . . . i.e. . .

"Will pay cash for woodworking tools . . . please send list of what you have".

I helped a friend recover tools with this method a few years back . . Got most of the tools & the dipstick went to jail . . :)

Scott Haddix
05-19-2008, 8:27 PM
The point of keeping the CD somewhere safe is key here. If they'd broken into your home and stolen your valuables, the CD of pictures might get taken too. I actually burn ALL of my photos to DVD and send them to my brother periodically so I have an offsite copy in case of theft, fire, or the more likely computer harddrive crash.

Jeff Cremers
05-19-2008, 8:50 PM
Thanks for the kind responses.
I have been checking craigslist and I will look into all options I have.
The good news is according to the Austin American Statesman is that the police might have impounded a vehicle involved in the robbery. It was idleing in front of the place at 4:30 in the morning and the cop pulled behind it to check it out and noticed units broke into. They might have got another truck as well the paper was kinda vague. My neighbor is asking a buddy that is a dec. in the area if they have leads and going to give him some info from me about some stuff that might help catch them. I've had a harley stolen and know this feeling all so well.
I would really like these scumbags to get caught.
There are to many pawnshops and shady places in the area to go or call each one. I will try to look at for the positive in it all. Like finding deals and buying new tools and less stuff to move if our house sells. but its hard knowing some scumbag has MY STUFF.
Jeff

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-19-2008, 8:54 PM
That sucks. While I don't think there is a snowballs chance in hell that your insurance company will pick up the task of going after the storage people you may want to see what you can do.

I'm sure there is a written agreement that releases them from liability for various things but, like most agreements there is often wiggle room in how the language can be read. Talk to a lawyer.

Jude Tuliszewski
05-19-2008, 9:31 PM
Sorry to hear about the theft. If you have the time, don't forget about any fleamarkets in your area. Here in Tampa there was a real big shop lifting ring busted that was selling the stolen stuff at a big fleamarket. The amount of money in stolen goods was astounding, est. to be in the millions. Ditto about something funny with 56 units and no one seeing anything. How could any 3 people hit that many units, pick threw to find items of worth and not take several hours, unless they had some info on what was in what unit. You may be able to get something out of the storage place as there is a certain expectation of reasonable security. If their was not even (at a minimum) a few cameras, there is a good chance you have a case regardless of the liability issue.
Good hunting in finding the cowards.

Doug Swanson
05-19-2008, 9:50 PM
another and arguably better option is to check out a site called mozy.com. basically it's a service that you configure to back up portions of your hard drive. It does a "net change" on the dates of files and updates only what's needed every night or whenever you configure it to run. For $60 a year it is good insurance imho for pictures/finance info/docs etc...btw it is encrypted using their encryption algorithm or I think you could provide your own..

ds

Jim Becker
05-19-2008, 9:56 PM
Wow...that's a real bummer. The insurance settlement is a bit light, too...darn!

skip coyne
05-19-2008, 10:06 PM
don't you wish you could buy them back for what they will probably sell them for ? :mad:

David DeCristoforo
05-19-2008, 10:11 PM
"...don't you wish you could buy them back for what they will probably sell them for?"

Now there's an idea. Run an ad. "To the pukes who ripped off the tools at (wherever), I will buy them back for the street price of ten hits of crack". With the dumb ___ people running around doing this kind of stuff, there's a good chance the thieves will be stupid enough to go for it. Then the fuzz can jump out and bust them when they show up...

Don Bullock
05-19-2008, 10:54 PM
:mad: I'm very sorry. Hopefully things will work out for you.

Dick Strauss
05-20-2008, 1:27 AM
Jeff,
I suspect Ebay might be a big place for stolen tools as well. Newpaper ads, garage sales, swap meets, and police seizures from drug dealers are a few places to look that come to mind (other than those mentioned).

Are you in the Austin, TX area? If we as fellow woodworkers know what you lost and where you had it stolen, we'll have a better chance of helping. Please provide us with a list of your lost tools and confirm your location. I'll try to find your tools and I'm sure others will try as well. One person may not find your tools but an e-posse of 50-100 web-surfing woodworkers might have better luck! You might also want to post it in the SMC classified area as well.

56 units broken into with no supervision is definitely negligent beyond any rights you waived in the contract. These places are supposed to have employees on site 24 hours a day.

Best of luck catching these crack-heads,
Dick

Barry Nelson
05-20-2008, 3:06 AM
I hope you rebore his ______ when you catch him! What a p...k,sounds like a set up to me.:mad:

Curt Harms
05-20-2008, 12:43 PM
I feel your pain. <snip>

I couldn't tell you have many times someone smashed my parents mailbox in (it was right under a streetlight, so i guess it was a good target). Finally my dad put a 6x6 post in the ground in chunk of concrete, and made a SUPER heavy duty box that would take a jackhammer to smash in. One day we heard a huge clink in the middle of the night, only to come out and see that someone had broken a wooden bat over the mailbox, which was unscathed.

I hope someones hands were ringing for weeks on end from that one.

A few years ago someone did that in Bucks Co. PA., installed a heavy duty mailbox. Someone's little teenage darling boy went to smash said heavy duty mailbox and hurt his poor lil' hands. Would you believe his parents tried to sue the owner of the mailbox!!!:mad: Far as I know the suit didn't go anywhere but still:mad::mad:.

Anthony Whitesell
05-20-2008, 1:21 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. I'm in the process of renewing my insurance policies and this situation prompted to me to ask about my coverage for my tools and toys as I have started to buy new (rather than used) tools. Luckily and unluckily my insurance carrier doesn't not differentiate between personal property and tools; but that also means that pots, pans, socks, coats, TV, VCR, drum sander, and table saw all come out of the same pile of money.

Mailbox baseball makes its rounds in every town. When the 'sport' came to the town I grew up in, one of my neighbors ended up with a smashed mailbox. He installed a shiny white plastic one that just screamed "HIT ME!" and they did. Little did the slugger know that there was a paint filled balloon inside waiting for them. It was pretty obvious who done it to the police.

Matt Meiser
05-20-2008, 1:41 PM
Now that's funny!

Knock on wood, ours has only been taken out once. And I have a feeling it was directed at the guy who used to live across the street who's mailbox is right next to ours. He had a lot of enemies.

Rob Hough
05-20-2008, 2:30 PM
Sorry about your loss. As a teenager our home was broke into and someone took all of my guitars and even played my video games to determine which ones they wanted... Thieves are one of the lowest forms of scum. :(

Dick Strauss
05-20-2008, 10:25 PM
We once lost a mailbox to mailbox baseball. After that I vowed to never lose another. So, I bought two mailboxes...one jumbo and one large. The large box was suspended in the jumbo while the empty space was filled with concrete.

About a month later...
I noticed a small chip in the paint along with glass all over the ground. I guess the bat ricocheted back and hit their rear window. I'll bet they never tried that again!!!

Gary Herrmann
05-20-2008, 10:37 PM
No mailbox baseball on my street yet, but a teen did get drunk, drive through my lawn and run over my mailbox several years ago. I found a chunk of turn signal light shaped like the state of FL with Honda stamped on one side.

Called the police to give a report. Went to work.

Later that evening walking the dogs, saw a Honda with scratches up one side and an oddly shaped missing section of turn signal - parked just up the street from my house. Perfect match.

Called the police and gave them the license number and my information. I got a new heavy duty post and mailbox installed at their expense.

Sorry to hear about your experience, Jeff.