PDA

View Full Version : Nitrogen air assist?

Helen Cast
05-19-2008, 1:55 PM
Has anybody found nitrogen air assist to vector/raster a particular material "cleaner" or require less power than using filtered compressed air?

Any applications? If so, how did you hook it up and what PSI, etc...

Thank you! Cliff

Bryan Cowan
05-19-2008, 4:10 PM
I have not used nitrogen as an air assist, but there's one thing for sure, it'll cost a lot more to use than regular old air. It may not even be worth it, but I don't know for sure.

Richard Rumancik
05-20-2008, 8:45 PM
Before I got my laser I noticed Synrad used nitrogen in a lot of their applications. I did some investigation at the time and planned to get a tank.

However, in the Synrad "Material Processing Technology" handbook, page D-10, it says "Flowing gas is a consumable and in some cases is a considerable expense. . . . When cutting non-metals, nitrogen or air are usually interchangeable therefore the selection can be made based upon local availability."

I had previously purchased a regulator valve but never actually had a good enough reason to try it. The valves run over $100 I believe. Generally, you have to rent the tank on a monthly basis (so you pay rental if you use it or not) plus the expense of the N2 used. To use N2, the laser should have program control of the gas flow; otherwise you will waste a lot of gas. Especially if you forget to turn it off. The regulator attaches to the tank (3000 psi internal) then you run a hose off the tank to your air assist input line.

As N2 is inert it probably won't make anything cut more aggressively (ie with less power). The main reason to use it is that there is no oxygen. Therefore, in some cases, you may see less burning or charring. At least, that is the theory, but I have never seen an actual comparison.

Synrad says 1-5 psi N2 is typical, higher for wood. Check their applications info on their website if you want to investigate more.

I think we have one member on this forum who uses N2 but manages to get it at no cost. Most users are using air for marking and cutting plastics and wood.

Cutting metal is a whole different situation.

Bill Cunningham
05-20-2008, 11:03 PM
There was a pretty good discussion on n2 as well as several other gasses here a while back..
see
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=70699&highlight=nitrogen

Helen Cast
05-21-2008, 1:14 PM
Thanks for the references. I missed the 12/6/07 nitrogen thread in my search.

Once again, seek @ the creek and ye shall find...

Thanks again! Cliff