PDA

View Full Version : Unloading heavy equipment

Chris Barnett
05-19-2008, 1:07 PM
Just received a Powermatic 20 inch Byrd head planer from The Toolnut. The only content of the truck was my planer; I thought it would be a piece of cake. Driver said the pallet jack would not fit! Turns out, the pallet is too low for the jack lifting bars, only 2 1/2 inches off the ground. A-n-d the supports are too close to permit the lifting bars from entering the openings anyway, even if the pallet supports were taller.

Net weight 911 pounds. Lots of fun getting into the basement, but it is there. I feel twenty pounds lighter.

One nice aspect of the delivery.....the PM came in a really nice plywood box, with beautiful grain patterns. Already thinking of what I can build with the plywood. The pallets for the BS, TS and lathe ended up as bird houses in the neighborhood, but this plywood is too nice for birdhouses.

The Volunteer Express truck driver...another A+, number one chap in my book. Seller was Sean at the Toolnut at a good deal.

Only disapointment was rebates. Have lost on rebates from WMH on the two Powermatic purchases in the past six months; they leave a bitter taste. Will be going back to Grizzly or Shop Fox for the next item this summer. Also considering going to Oneway to replace the 3520B.

Victor Stearns
05-19-2008, 1:32 PM
No Easy way to Move that much weight without the local football team showing up!
It is always diffcult to find a "friend" when you tell them what you are doing. Without a fork lift, not much to do except a wrestling match!!!!
I am unsure why the loss of rebates is causing you to change brands? I do understand that value, or lack of value with today's dollar, and our efforts to maximize our bank for the buck. However when I look to make a purchase of a new machine, I research the availble units, along with any possible substitues. This includes the $$$ along with any shipping charges and maybe even a rebate. Many times for myself it is that I want a certain machine.
Good Luck, Any how about posting the photo of the planer and make it a GLOAT!!
Victor

John Morrison60
05-19-2008, 1:40 PM
Chris

How does one get a 900 lb piece of machinery down to a basement shop?
I had enough problems getting a 300 lb band saw down to mine,
I am concerned about such things as the strength of the stairway, for larger equipment.
Did you take it down in pieces?

Interested.
John

Chris Barnett
05-19-2008, 1:55 PM
Basement is on same level as the garage. Have not opened the box, but hope to use an engine hoist to raise while I remove the wrappings. Hope there are defined lift points, but have my doubts.
On the rebates...was to have been a rebate on each...$100. Would go a way in obtaining more toys. One point, it is a hobby...not a business, so it is all outgo....the balance sheet has all the entries only on one side. Should just be happy with the good deal from the Toolnut, but we are just never satisfied, are we? Had planned on the rebate being used to defray the cost of a lathe extension. Don't count....something about chickens and eggs hatching :D.

Anthony Whitesell
05-19-2008, 3:41 PM
Why did you lose out on the rebates? What was the 'excuse' from WMH for denying the rebate?

Frank Drew
05-19-2008, 4:28 PM
Also considering going to Oneway to replace the 3520B.

Chris,

What is it you like more about the Oneway? I've never used either so don't have any preconceptions, except noting that the largest Oneway is about twice the price of the 3520B.

Chris Barnett
05-19-2008, 11:28 PM
Size matters in this case, but thinking about the extension, the PM is probably the best value. Headstock appears to have much more capacity for loading than the PM, but the PM seems much more versatile. The structural design of the Oneway looks just superb and really expect it is a much better product, as it should be at a higher cost.
Rebates were half of advertised amount in the first case, and were non-existant in the second. Fool me twice, shame on me.
Experienced users here think the world of the PM, and it is probably more than what is needed.

Bill Wyko
05-19-2008, 11:52 PM
Just received a Powermatic 20 inch Byrd head planer from The Toolnut. The only content of the truck was my planer; I thought it would be a piece of cake. Driver said the pallet jack would not fit! Turns out, the pallet is too low for the jack lifting bars, only 2 1/2 inches off the ground. A-n-d the supports are too close to permit the lifting bars from entering the openings anyway, even if the pallet supports were taller.

Net weight 911 pounds. Lots of fun getting into the basement, but it is there. I feel twenty pounds lighter.

One nice aspect of the delivery.....the PM came in a really nice plywood box, with beautiful grain patterns. Already thinking of what I can build with the plywood. The pallets for the BS, TS and lathe ended up as bird houses in the neighborhood, but this plywood is too nice for birdhouses.

The Volunteer Express truck driver...another A+, number one chap in my book. Seller was Sean at the Toolnut at a good deal.

Only disapointment was rebates. Have lost on rebates from WMH on the two Powermatic purchases in the past six months; they leave a bitter taste. Will be going back to Grizzly or Shop Fox for the next item this summer. Also considering going to Oneway to replace the 3520B.
Let me know what you are going to want for that 3520 when it comes time:D

Jim Becker
05-20-2008, 9:51 AM
Chris, if you want big without "excessive size", than look at Stubby 750...30" inboard...no "extensions" necessary...and a lot smaller footprint than the big OneWay.