PDA

View Full Version : Pretty new member (first post of my work)

Rob Horton
04-08-2004, 11:20 AM
Hey all,

Well, I've taken the plunge and am posting my work for the first time. These are just a couple of small projects but they are my first attempt at creating something really nice. You know, something nicer than building rough shop cabinets and stuff like that.

These are a clock for my father in-law and a foodsafe for my mother in-law. This is my first time using a router (for both projects) and for making box joints (the foodsafe).

I'd love to know what you all think of them. Except of course if you don't like them. :) Just kidding! Any feedback is appreciated.

(Hope I didn't get the pics too large).

Thanks all!

Chris Padilla
04-08-2004, 11:57 AM
Hi Rob,

Nice work! The clock stand really looks nice.

I circled points on it that worry me a bit due to the "short grain" that is there. Does the clock pivot or turn on some axis there? I can't tell.

Rob Horton
04-08-2004, 12:13 PM
Hi Rob,

Nice work! The clock stand really looks nice.

I circled points on it that worry me a bit due to the "short grain" that is there. Does the clock pivot or turn on some axis there? I can't tell.

Yep, it spins on the those dowels. Actually I got the pattern from a clockmaking book and "upsized" it somewhat. So those "arms" are actually larger than the plans called for. They seem solid though so far (knock on wood). But I do see what you mean.

Rob Horton
04-08-2004, 12:18 PM
In case anyone is interested in the clock book it's called: The Complete Guide to Making Wooden Clocks: Traditional, Shaker & Contemporary Designs (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1565232089/qid=1081440936/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1_xs_stripbooks_i1_xgl14/002-1221181-2063225?v=glance&s=books) and it's ISBN number is 1565232089 (in case that link doesn't work for some reason).

John Haylow
04-08-2004, 5:19 PM
Nice work Rob! I'm sure your in-laws will appreciate them.

John

Ed Falis
04-08-2004, 7:24 PM
Looking good, Rob. Welcome!

- Ed

Larry Browning
04-08-2004, 11:29 PM
Hey Rob,
Your subject line says "Pretty new member" and you didn't post a picture of yourself to prove it :confused: Whas up with that? So prove to us you truly are a "pretty" new member. :D

Welcome to the Creek Rob.

Larry

Kelly C. Hanna
04-08-2004, 11:47 PM
Nice work Rob! Welcome to the Creek!

Howard Rosenberg
04-09-2004, 10:04 AM
oh well.....
welcome aboard!
Howard

Tony Falotico
04-09-2004, 10:10 AM
Hey Rob, Nice work & Welcome to the 'creek.

Stay friends with that router, it's a very versatile tool. Have you mounted it into a table yet? IMHO it works much better that way.

BTW, I'd be careful callin' myself 'pretty' with this bunch. (LOL)

Rob Horton
04-09-2004, 10:10 AM
oh well.....
welcome aboard!
Howard

Howard (and Larry too),

Yeah I thought about that subject line right about the time that I hit the 'submit' button to post the thread ;)

Rob Horton
04-09-2004, 10:14 AM
Hey Rob, Nice work & Welcome to the 'creek.

Stay friends with that router, it's a very versatile tool. Have you mounted it into a table yet? IMHO it works much better that way.

BTW, I'd be careful callin' myself 'pretty' with this bunch. (LOL)

Yep, I created a smallish router table based of the bench top model that Rockler has. It was a heckuva lot cheaper than giving Rockler $90 for theirs - although if I were going to give a woodworking store $90, it would definitely be Rockler. :D

Sometime, I'll post some pics of my one-car garage shop where I created this stuff. It consists of basically, one shop built table, a couple of fold away saw-horses and two shop built wall cabinets. And it all has to be put away each time so we can park our van.

Bart Leetch
04-09-2004, 11:45 AM
"I'll post some pics of my one-car garage shop"

"I'll post some pics of my shop " If you'll change it to read this way & use it this way the car won't be a problem any more. Can you say room for more tools. AH yes its a great day in the neighborhood.

Good looking work Rob.

Jim Stastny
04-09-2004, 3:38 PM
Very nice work. As Tony said, stay friends with than router. It will do more than you can imagine. I, too, have a one car carage shop. So my router is my tenon cutter, mortise machine, circle and oval maker. In the past it even served as a jointer.

Tyler Howell
04-09-2004, 3:52 PM
Hey Rob,
Your subject line says "Pretty new member" and you didn't post a picture of yourself to prove it :confused: Whas up with that? So prove to us you truly are a "pretty" new member. :D

Welcome to the Creek Rob.

Larry

Larry LMAO!
Welcome Rob to the Creek. Great place to hang out.

Fred Voorhees
04-09-2004, 10:00 PM
Hey Rob, your a "picture poster". I can tell you this - if you occasionally post pictures of something, you will never go wrong in Tylers eyes! :D :D :D

Dale Thompson
04-09-2004, 10:46 PM
Rob,
SUPER JOB!! I like your work as it is now and it will get even better as you get answers from the great folks on this board. Don't be afraid to ask ANY question here on, "The Creek". I've asked so many dumb questions over the past year or so that I have lost count. On the other hand, I've always gotten many quality answers,

Lastly, make sure that you post a lot of pictures. There are a couple of folks on this board who NEED pictures to keep their feet dangling in the waters of, "The Creek". I won't mention any names but they go under the aliases of "Spring" and "Tyler". :) :) ;)

Again, Rob, WELCOME!!

Dale T.

Keith Oliver
04-10-2004, 8:25 AM
.....And it all has to be put away each time so we can park our van.

You mean you actually put a vehicle in your garage??? I've always had more "important" uses for ours.

Keith