PDA

View Full Version : Show me your tool rack

Burt Alcantara
05-19-2008, 10:54 AM
I built a tool rack a few months ago. While I did a lot of lay out and measuring, the rack was not successful. The angle the tools were held was too shallow so they were prone to fall over knocking all the other tools off the rack. First time was funny. Second time, not. The tools are too close together so now I have to alternate space them.

I found that I like to have everything on the rack -- tools, finishing supplies, measuring devices, rags, knockout bars, centers. But the current rack doesn't have that much space. Probably means adding a shelf.

What does your's look like?

Thanks,
Burt

Bruce Pennell
05-19-2008, 11:05 AM
Burt heres a shot of mine, Custom made metal table over $99 special tool cart 5 drawer from the Borg. Had a shelf for screws, convert to spindle tool holder. My bowl gouges, ect are on the shelving unit. Sandpaper is now held in large file box. All my face plates, tool rests, drill's, morse tapers, Beal buffing system, ect... are stored in the tool box. The new PM has its own tool tray.

Cyril Griesbach
05-19-2008, 11:17 AM
I'm giving this a try without knowing what success I'll have posting the pictures. This rack is on a lazy susan bearing and is from plans I got from turning friend Rob Nelson.

Burt Alcantara
05-19-2008, 11:40 AM
Cyril,
Some good ideas there. Certainly, no tip over.

Bruce,
While your tools seem a bit far from the lathe, I realized that there is no special reason for them to be close. It's not like one is changing tools every 15 seconds or so.

Burt

Bruce Pennell
05-19-2008, 12:00 PM
Burt they are right next to my PM3520b, my guest might have to reach but I don't. Being 6'7" I have long arms. I like the lazy susan idea, a couple of friends have that set up and love it. The Delta/Rockwell lathe isn't getting used very much any more.

Jon McCoy
05-19-2008, 12:49 PM
Mine's similar to the lazy susan, but even lazier. I put the PVC cutoffs in a bucket -- just had to expand into a second bucket this month. The bucket sits on the floor below the sharpener, where I'm reminded to touch up the edge before putting them away. Shavings in the bottom of the bucket helps cushion the "whack" when you drop them in.

-jon-

Jack Mincey
05-19-2008, 1:34 PM
Here is mine. It is mounted on wheels so I can put it where I need it. I do a bit of outboard turning on my lathe, and it helps to put the tools where I need them. My son had to get into the picture.
Jack

http://usera.imagecave.com/flyrod444/100_0627-copy.jpg

Burt Alcantara
05-19-2008, 1:45 PM
Jack,
Does you rack get buried with shavings? Mine's on the wall and it gets covered.

Burt

Brodie Brickey
05-19-2008, 1:46 PM
Here's a rack I made for my tools.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=71456&d=1189222264

Jack Mincey
05-19-2008, 2:08 PM
Burt,
I can roll it out of the path of most of the shavings. Most of the shavings that do land on it fall off, the rest are blown off with a air hose that is usally near the lathe or hanging on the tool rack. I don't know how one would turn a HF without air to blow it out.
Jack

Glenn Hodges
05-19-2008, 2:18 PM
Here's mine.

Dean Matthews
05-19-2008, 2:24 PM
I don't own enough lathe tools to warrant an entire rack yet... My craftsman tool chest is right next to my lathe and I have one drawer just for these tools.

I was using another drawer for chucks and things like that but it got nuts after a while. I just bought a tackle box the other night with 4 internal/removable organizer drawers. I keep bushings, wax bars, mandrel parts, and drill chuck like stuff in there.

Burt Alcantara
05-19-2008, 2:26 PM
Don't have all the tools up because they'd just fall off. I use 2 shields - one for turning and the other for finishing (splat).

Bill Wyko
05-19-2008, 2:29 PM
Because my shop is so small I built this pocket system. It was a concern by someone that the magnets would cause issues but a year later no issues what so ever. I now have more tools so it's just about time to expand again.

Dean Matthews
05-19-2008, 3:11 PM
Because my shop is so small I built this pocket system. It was a concern by someone that the magnets would cause issues but a year later no issues what so ever. I now have more tools so it's just about time to expand again.

Overtime wouldn't the metal have it's own magnetic charge? I think the only time I would be worried about that would be when sharpening. Or would that not matter either?

Bruce Pennell
05-19-2008, 3:13 PM
Glenn I love your Poolwood covered in shavings, Just bagged up two 55 gal bags full off the new PM. Mine where very contrasted, mesquite and palo verde, brown and yellow. Did have help from my Grandson this last weekend, making all those shavings.

Clara Koss
05-19-2008, 3:15 PM
I'm giving this a try without knowing what success I'll have posting the pictures. This rack is on a lazy susan bearing and is from plans I got from turning friend Rob Nelson.

this has to be the cleanest work space EVER....congrats...

Scott Hubl
05-19-2008, 4:57 PM
Bruce,
This question STILL haunts me.

I have saved maybe 20-30 pics over the last 2 years of just this subject and still can't decide what I should do.

I turned a pen at Rockler one day then jumped in like gang busters bought 6 used lathes all with some tools and accessories. Plus all the tools and accessories I have bought myself.
With my 3520B (first lathe bought NEW) I had 7 in the shop. I did sell one the Jet 1236.
Gonna sell off the others. Oh and gave my brother my Jet Mini and a chuck and turning chisel set. He bought my extra Woodcraft grinder and Wolverine system.

I have well over 50 Sorby chisels plus maybe another 20 of other brands, 8 chucks,a few vacuum systems and their chucks. different jaws on each chuck(hate changing them)
Plus all the other stuff calipers ect. Hollowing tools(Scorpion and Stinger) list seems endless .

Nothing seems to fit my needs and tools are resting on the TS, my 6"Jointer is nice for lining up my chucks on.LOL

I keep going out to the shop after looking at pics of others solutions trying to get a REVOLATION and SEE the Light, but so far it has Eluded me.

This was my attempt on my Jet 1442 and my Bench full of stuff.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p59/AmericanAndProud/1442%20hold%20fast%20and%20shelves/1442-shelves.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p59/AmericanAndProud/1442%20hold%20fast%20and%20shelves/close-up-shelves.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p59/AmericanAndProud/Sorby-web.jpg

Bruce Pennell
05-19-2008, 5:18 PM
Scott you most be related to me. I just love tools..... I was able to pick up two hospital med carts (13 drawer) the other day for $125 each. Lockable, big casters, roll over cords, and my anti fatigue matting I have all over the shop. I had enough hand tools to fill both. The quality is similar to snap on tool box, all heavy duty roller bearings, smooth original cost over $2500 new, each. I also have 2 of the borg rolling tool box/cart $99 specials, one for chucks, beal buffing system, morse taper drill bits, ect...you can see it under the table I built for my tools. The other I placed all my drill bits and drivers in, and 2 table top sanders one ocsillating and one belt/disc. I also have 2 other rolling tool boxes,full of wrenches, taps, all my extra stuff.....wish I could find two more med. carts they are the best. I was lucky when it came to lathes, I got to read yours and Ken's posts. I traded for my Delta/Rockwell 46-450 lathe came with 3 boxes of tools, plates, ect...only had $300 in the gun I traded. Fell in love with turning, and with your advice, Kens and few other posts I'd read, along with my wife telling me to buy what I want instead of buying someones trouble, I bought my PM3520b. Best money I ever spent.

Bruce Pennell
05-19-2008, 5:27 PM
Scott here is a previous post (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=81567) showing the tools I got with my first lathe.

Mike Peace
05-19-2008, 5:39 PM
My tool storage is in this thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=70954

Paul Heely
05-19-2008, 6:04 PM
I just finished these racks over the weekend. Got tired of using the top of my bench for tool storage. Now I can use it for wood storage :D

--
Paul

Bruce Pennell
05-19-2008, 6:37 PM
Paul I think you and Bill are tied for the cleanest most organized shop's I've ever seen. Had the neighbors 5 year old son, and his dad (over the road trucker) stop by the shop last week, the 5 year old kept saying its dirty in here. Put him on the end of the Festool CT-22 vac, kept him busy for 2 1/2 hours. I think he's around his mom to much, when I was a boy I loved to make the mess, guess I haven't got out of the boyhood stage yet...only 50 maybe I will grow up someday.:D

Bernie Weishapl
05-19-2008, 7:30 PM
Here is mine but the lathe is now turned 90 deg from where it is sitting now with the stand enclosed. I like the way this setup works.

Paul Douglass
05-19-2008, 7:31 PM
This is one I built same idea as a fishing pole holder I built.

ron hossack
06-26-2008, 8:09 PM
This is one I built same idea as a fishing pole holder I built.

You guys with talent scare me ...

My cobbling allows me to take my tools with my mobile lathe
stand wherever I roll it and they are close at hand.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/rhossack/Lathe003.jpg

Bruce Pennell
06-26-2008, 8:37 PM
Nicely done Ron. Mobile and organized, very nice portable set up.

Bob Hallowell
06-30-2008, 8:38 AM
Here's mine.

He Glenn I think you stole your storage Idea from me:D Nice lathe by the way.

Bob

Mike Ramsey
06-30-2008, 2:22 PM
I turned a pen at Rockler one day then jumped in like gang busters bought 6 used lathes all with some tools and accessories. Plus all the tools and accessories I have bought myself.
With my 3520B (first lathe bought NEW) I had 7 in the shop. I did sell one the Jet 1236.
I have well over 50 Sorby chisels plus maybe another 20 of other brands, 8 chucks,a few vacuum systems and their chucks. different jaws on each chuck(hate changing them)
Plus all the other stuff calipers ect. Hollowing tools(Scorpion and Stinger) list seems endless .

ENVY!!
Scott, you have more turning tools than the Woodcraft store in Houston!
I'm serious, next time I'm in there I will point them to this post, maybe
they will stock up a bit after seeing it :D.

laurie sullivan
06-30-2008, 7:40 PM
I think Glen's is better looking than mine, but our floors look the same:eek:

Laurie

phil harold
06-16-2009, 6:51 AM
With all the different racks and storage systems of the members here in billions of threads is there a way we can post all the pictures of racks in one thread? and make it a sticky?

There is so many good ideas for lathe tool storage to research before building one,
but the amount of threads to search thru is daunting...

thanks for all the help

here is my version

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=120824&stc=1&d=1245148798

George Guadiane
06-16-2009, 10:11 AM
STEVE???

This is a GREAT IDEA!

Might be good to do the same thing with shop pix... Just pictures, perhaps with links to appropriate threads???
(I know, it would be a lot of work, but what a lot of help it would be for all)

Mine can be seen here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=114426), taken from Don Orr who took it from???

With all the different racks and storage systems of the members here in billions of threads is there a way we can post all the pictures of racks in one thread? and make it a sticky?

There is so many good ideas for lathe tool storage to research before building one,

thanks for all the help

here is my version

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=120824&stc=1&d=1245148798

Chris Stolicky
06-16-2009, 10:32 AM

thanks for all the help

here is my version

This would be great. It can be daunting sometime using the search functions. You end up with so many threads that, while contain useful info, its just not the info really wanted at this point in time.

And Scott - I know this is an older thread, but do you actually spend much time turning, or do you just spend it buying tools? ;)

David Hostetler
06-16-2009, 10:42 AM
ENVY!!
Scott, you have more turning tools than the Woodcraft store in Houston!
I'm serious, next time I'm in there I will point them to this post, maybe
they will stock up a bit after seeing it :D.

I think he has more turning tools that Rockler, and BOTH Woodcraft stores in Houston!

I was warned about the slippery slope, but that is evidence of not sliding in, but rather diving in head first...

I'd show my tool storage, but Scott already posted a similar pic. Nothing to brag about. All I have is a set of the PSI HSS tools, the stuff that came with my lathe, and a few layout tools... Not even a chuck yet... Next pay period I hope... Since LOML and I are down to 1 income for now, I have to pace myself better with workshop buildup supplies...

FWIW, I took and reglued the lousy box that came from PSI into a tight fitting case. I may or may not actually sand it and finish it... Most likely not. My layout tools are on a set of wall mounted small parts cabinets.. As are the faceplate, spanners, knockout bar etc... from the lathe.

Brian George
06-16-2009, 11:38 AM
GREAT IDEA, CY!
Hoiw about a few more shots or even some plans to put one together for myself...
Thanks in advance

Brian George
06-16-2009, 11:42 AM
How did you mount the pvc onto the lateral board?

Richard Madison
06-16-2009, 2:49 PM
You guys have WAY too many tools, and some inconveniently located. Here's an alternative. There's another rack at other end of lathe for centers, drill chuck, etc.

Clint Schlosser
06-16-2009, 3:22 PM
I wish I had a real lathe, sigh...

Scott Hackler
07-05-2009, 4:49 PM
Heres my version. I wanted a shelf to add a few things I am always using.

Scott

http://members.cox.net/cabletech/toolrack.jpg

Scott Hurley
07-05-2009, 8:06 PM
Here's mine - it took an afternoon to put together. Note that I have cane tips over the really sharp/pointy tools. It's on 4 swivel casters so I can easily move it wherever I want.
http://members.cox.net/scotthurley/images/tool_rack.jpg

Michael Mills
07-05-2009, 8:55 PM
Hi,
This is my tool rack with magnetic strips. I drilled 3/4 in holes in the bottom "shelf" for the handle ends to drop into to keep them from slipping. Never had one fall, and it takes both hands to remove the Sorby Multi Tip if I place the flat side against the magnet. It is only one step to the right to reach it while turning and is an incentive to put the last tool away.
I do like a lot of the other ideas but have limited space.
Mike