PDA

View Full Version : Golden Rule

Art kraft
05-19-2008, 9:13 AM
Has any one out there used the golden rule as it would be applied to round forms. I see it on the lamination pro software but it doesn't list it in the help menu. I have always just turned until I liked the way it looked but would like to try applying phi.

Malcolm Tibbetts
05-19-2008, 9:28 AM
Art, this is probably more that you want to know, but

http://www.goldennumber.net/

is a very extensive site dedicated to the "golden number", etc. Phi (1.618) or (.618) depending upon how you apply it, can be a very effective way to determine pleasing vessel proportions. Height versus diameter and position of the widest diameter are just two handy applications of this magical number.

Dean Matthews
05-19-2008, 10:27 AM
I was trying to figure out how "Do unto others as you would have done unto you" applied to turning. =) I personally don't want to be put on a lathe, spun around really fast, and have sharp metal applied to me. =)

Wood Magazine had a thing on Fibonacci last year... they went over Phi in decent detail... I think it was a throw off from all the hype the DaVinci code was causing... in the book the main character has a discussion with his class about the "Golden Mean" and Phi.

robert hainstock
05-19-2008, 10:42 AM
I have seen the application discussed on the history channel. and they mentioned pottery as an application. I personaly know one turner who tries to incorperate it in his works.
I just spin it and remove everything that doesn't look right. No help I guess, but the bestI can do. :(:)
Bob

Curt Fuller
05-19-2008, 6:49 PM
There have been a lot of discussions about the golden rule, golden mean, rule of thirds, etc. What you said, "I have always just turned until I liked the way it looked" is probably as good a definition as any. There are some mathematical equations to calculate it, but in the end it boils down to what looks good to the human eye.

Bernie Weishapl
05-19-2008, 7:23 PM
I agree with Curt. I had a gentleman who had been turning for about 40 yrs. told me the definition of the Golden Rule is: "There are no rules." Turn it till it looks good to your eye and it is done. He said I am no math wizard. Had to laugh but he is right. I turn till it is pleasing to my eye and put the finish on.

Dennis Puskar
05-19-2008, 9:51 PM
I agree with Bernie. Amen.

Dennis

RL Johnson
05-19-2008, 10:07 PM
I think Curt and Bernie have hit the nail on the head, it is a matter of perspective. If your piece sits high on a bookshelf for example, the golden mean will not be of much use.