PDA

View Full Version : Plane Type Id Help

Randy Klein
05-19-2008, 7:35 AM
This is my first attempt at trying to ID a plane type. I'm using the information at: link (http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/stanley_bench_plane/dating/dating_flowchart_ascii.html). When I go through the flowchart, I end up with a type 15, but when I look at the details of that type, it doesn't match the plane's.

So I'm thinking I don't enough to even answer the flowchart questions.

Can anyone help me out? Here are the pics that I think are useful. There's no patent dates behind the frog.

This is the back of the lever cap. I haven't seen any mention of a patent date on the lever cap. Maybe this was a later add-on by the user?

Tom Veatch
05-19-2008, 1:49 PM
...when I look at the details of that type, it doesn't match the plane's.

What I can see in the picture certainly leads to a Type 15 via the flowchart. What are the features that don't match? If they involve removable/replaceable parts - lever cap, iron, frog, etc., then I'd assume that those parts have been replaced over the life of the plane.

Randy Klein
05-19-2008, 2:07 PM
What are the features that don't match?

The website says:

Type 15. Planes made by Stanley 1931-1932.

All of the features of the previous, except:
"MADE IN U.S.A." is now cast behind the frog.
All patent info on the bottom casting is removed.
"BAILEY" is now cast behind the knob toward the rib, and the number is now cast in front of the knob at the leading edge of the bottom casting. This is opposite to all prior types.

On mine, the "Made in U.S.A." is behind the knob, not the frog. And "Bailey" is in front of the knob, not behind it. This puts the number on the heel, and not in front of the knob.

Clint Jones
05-19-2008, 2:27 PM
Its a type 17 most likely a transition from the 16-17 about 95% sure.

Randy Klein
05-19-2008, 4:14 PM
Its a type 17 most likely a transition from the 16-17 about 95% sure.

Well, I'll take your word on that. Thanks.

Clint Jones
05-19-2008, 6:15 PM
This is the back of the lever cap. I haven't seen any mention of a patent date on the lever cap. Maybe this was a later add-on by the user?

The patent number on the back is for the kidney shaped hole on the lever cap.

Randy Klein
05-19-2008, 6:25 PM
The patent number on the back is for the kidney shaped hole on the lever cap.

That makes sense. I couldn't find any info about it but remember reading about them switching between keyhole and kidney shapes.

Johnny Kleso
05-19-2008, 7:07 PM
I'd call it a solid Type 16

The patent date on the lever cap is a dead give away..

A type 15 would have a key hole style lever cap and SW blade..

Type 17 would have a steel or plastic blade adjuster and steel handle screws

I have a type study you can check out here
https://home.comcast.net/~rexmill/planes101/typing/typing.htm

Billy Chambless
05-19-2008, 7:08 PM
The website says:

Type 15. Planes made by Stanley 1931-1932.

All of the features of the previous, except:
"MADE IN U.S.A." is now cast behind the frog.
All patent info on the bottom casting is removed.
"BAILEY" is now cast behind the knob toward the rib, and the number is now cast in front of the knob at the leading edge of the bottom casting. This is opposite to all prior types.

On mine, the "Made in U.S.A." is behind the knob, not the frog. And "Bailey" is in front of the knob, not behind it. This puts the number on the heel, and not in front of the knob.

This might help confuse, er, clarify things:

Scope The types are listed for the #4 size bench plane. Most of the other bench planes follow the features listed below, with some minor differences. One of the most easy to spot is the location of the number designation cast into the bed of the plane. The larger ones have their numbers cast behind the tote, whereas the smaller ones have it cast at the toe (in front of the knob)

FWIW, I have a #5 1/2 type 15 and a #5 type 19, and they both have the lettering arrangement you have: number on the heel, "Bailey" at the toe, and "Made in USA" behind the knob.

Randy Klein
05-19-2008, 7:50 PM
I remember reading that but it never dawned on me to consider that a possibility...

Randy Klein
05-19-2008, 7:51 PM
I'd call it a solid Type 16

The patent date on the lever cap is a dead give away..

A type 15 would have a key hole style lever cap and SW blade..

Type 17 would have a steel or plastic blade adjuster and steel handle screws

I have a type study you can check out here
https://home.comcast.net/~rexmill/planes101/typing/typing.htm (https://home.comcast.net/%7Erexmill/planes101/typing/typing.htm)

Thanks for your link, I'll keep that as a reference.