PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question about Bessey K-body clamps

Tom Henderson2
05-19-2008, 1:26 AM
Good evening everyone.

I have a pretty basic question about Bessey K-body clamps.

I purchased a couple K-body clamps at the Blue Borg today. I've seen them on the shelves, and read about them, but I've never looked at them closely or used them myself.

I noticed that when I close the clamp jaws together, they initially make contact at the outside edge. When that edge makes initial contact, the heel (inside, adjacent to the bar) has about a 1/32" gap.

Is that normal?

That gap disappears as you continue to tighten the clamp of course, but it is hard to tell if the clamping pressure is even across the jaw face or if it is clamping harder out at the tip.

At first, I thought it might be a defect, but all the K-bodies they had left on the racks seemed to do the same thing.

Thanks in advance. I hope I'm not trying anyone's patience with my elementary questions. I learn a lot every day from all of you.

-Tom H.
Ventura, CA

Norman Pyles
05-19-2008, 1:38 AM
Tom, I had to go look at my clamps to see what you are experiencing. The head of the clamp has to rock a little so it can move. If you push on the bottom of the clamp it will go together with just hand pressure. I think your clamps are fine, and hope you got the 10 bucks off on your new clamps.:cool:

Tom Henderson2
05-19-2008, 1:56 AM
Thanks Norman!

I figured it was typical.... thought I'd ask.

-TH