PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 140 Blade Sharpening

Roy Hahn
05-18-2008, 11:15 PM
Can someone please offer a method to sharpen a Stanley 140 blade? These skewed blades do not fit in simple honing guides. Also can someone tell what is the correct bevel angle these should be sharpened?
Thanks!

Mark Singer
05-18-2008, 11:37 PM
It is best freehand. I think mine is at 25 degrees.

lowell holmes
05-19-2008, 9:21 AM
Norton has a video about freehand honing. Using their technique makes honing a skewed blade easy.
Also, the current issue of FW has an article concerning using a bench grinder that is outstanding and really works. I tried it with my $60 bench grinder and got really outstanding results.

Danny Thompson
05-19-2008, 10:21 AM
Derek Cohen has a write-up on this at:

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/WoodworkTechniques/Advanced%20Angles%20on%20the%20Lee%20Valley%20Honi ng%20Guide%20Mk%20II.html

Another option is the Skew Angle Registration Jig for Veritas Mk.II Honing Guide.

lowell holmes
05-19-2008, 12:21 PM
I have the skew angle registration jig (and I like it), but I normally free hand my 140 iron using the techniques described in the Norton video. :-)

Tony Zaffuto
05-19-2008, 3:08 PM
The best sharpening jig(s) are located at the end of your arms--your hands! A skewed blade like this is actually very easy to free hand, particularly because of the large "registration" area of the bevel on you stone.

One of the best aids to freehand sharpening is the "Tools For Working Wood" video. There is a DVD for oilstones and for waterstones. Pay close attention to how the blade is held by your fingers. The other thing to pay attention to is to not try to kill the blade by too much pressure onto the stone. A light touch and easy does it is all it takes.

All this sharpening stuff seems complicated at the beginning of the journey, but it's only that way because a lot of us like to present it as such. When you finally get there, you'll do an "aw shucks" while slapping yourself on the forehead as you recognize how easy and quickly a chore this is.

T.Z.

Roy Hahn
05-20-2008, 12:59 AM
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback and it gives me some ideas to explore.

I check out the site "Tools For Working Wood" and they have a quite a few good lessons to review as well.

:)