PDA

View Full Version : have trees, want lumber (MD, near D.C.)

Dave Lindstrom
05-18-2008, 7:41 PM
I have two large trees that need to come down--one red oak and one white oak, both ~32" in diameter with no branches for 25' or so. It seems to me that at least the base sections should be made into lumber, not just firewood. Does anybody know of a source of portable sawmill services in the D.C. area, or at least a tree removal firm who is willing and able to take the logs to a sawmill?

Dave
(Wheaton, MD)

Jim Andrew
05-18-2008, 10:56 PM
Check out the bandsawmill companies. They have a database of guys who have mills in what areas. Check out woodmizer, timberking, and cooks. Those sound like good trees if they aren't too close to the house. Most of the mill operators are skeptical of yard trees because of nails etc, just agree to buy the blade if they hit something. Shouldn't hurt the mill otherwise. Blades run about 20$. Jim

Richard M. Wolfe
05-19-2008, 9:38 AM
Dave, go to the Woodweb site and look there. In the left hand column there is a link for sawmill services - you can find a sawyer and/or a kiln operator. It would be more expensive to have the wood dried but you wouldn't have to find a home for it and wait for it to air dry. Rather than go into a lot of the do's and dont's of milling here you can probably get all the information you need from the mill operator; also here or especially the Woodweb site are good sources of information.

Dave Lindstrom
05-19-2008, 7:54 PM
Jim,

I haven't had any luck finding lists of sawyers on the sawmill manufacturers' websites. If you can point me to any....

Thanks anyway.

Dave

Dave Lindstrom
05-19-2008, 7:55 PM
Richard,
Thanks for the tip. Woodweb at least lists a few people in the state of MD, though most are rather far away. I e-mailed one in nearby VA....
Dave

Richard M. Wolfe
05-19-2008, 11:41 PM
Dave, I don't know where you are in MD but you're probably close enough to places in other neighboring states to make it worthwhile. And once you make contact with a sawyer ask if they know of others not listed. It's surprising the number of mills around....it's just finding one.

BTW, we'd be tickled to cut the logs for you, if you'll just haul them here. Give me a call when you hit the Texas state line.....it'll only be about another 300 miles. :D :D

Good luck with getting them done.

Edit: Just looked again and see you're close to DC. Doesn't do anything as far as helping but at least I did see where you are.

Dick Strauss
05-20-2008, 12:58 AM
Dave,
I referred Shawn Patel to this guy. PM Shawn Patel to see how he made out with his bradford pear tree.

Try this guy I found on HarvestingUrbanTimber.com. I have no connection to this guy...just trying to help.

Charles Minter
2198 Newark Rd, New London Twp
West Grove, Pa 19390
USA Telephone:610-869-9292 E-mail:cmuntzer@closecall.com

Description
TimberKing B-20 diesel/hydraulic portable mill.
Logs milled to your specs at your site or mine.
Resawing welcome. No job too small or too large.
Service areas are: Southeastern Pa, Maryland, Delaware, Southern New Jersey.

Cell #302-981-0595

Good luck!