PDA

View Full Version : Panel Router

Mark Bachler
04-08-2004, 10:10 AM
Going to go look at one of these today. Hardly used, like new. 3.5 HP softstart PC plunge router, flip stops, air clamps, takes 62" x 120". Would just fit in that empty spot on my wall. $ less than a decent table saw.
http://www.panelsaw.com/3400.htm

HHHmmmmmmmmmmm.

Chris Padilla
04-08-2004, 10:26 AM
Mark,

That is interesting. I think I saw a mini-version of this mounted in a van on This Old House. He used it to clean out some window mullions for new glass. What does this baby cost?

Mark Bachler
04-08-2004, 11:23 AM
Mark,

That is interesting. I think I saw a mini-version of this mounted in a van on This Old House. He used it to clean out some window mullions for new glass. What does this baby cost?

I'm thinking with the big router, extra fence, air clamps & flip down stops it should be around $2800 to $3400. I sent in to the company for a quote. The guy wants $1800 for the one I'm going to go look at. We'll work on that ;)

Mike Johnson - Chicago
04-08-2004, 1:01 PM
Guys, if you want the low budget approach...

I saw a cool home-made jig using a cheap hollow-core door, a couple of 2x4's and a Tru-grip with a router mounted on a UHMW placque.

The door was mounted, on hinges, horizontally to the wall and a 2x4 was mounted to the bottom edge of the door. There was a folding leg that would prop the door at an angle when in use(and allow it to lay flat when not). Sheet goods would sit on the ledge created by the 2x4 and the Tru grip would then be laid on top of it to work as the guide for the router.

I can't remember exactly how the upper 2x4 was attached, because it would work with a 4' wide sheet, and doors are 36"....but both the upper and lower 2x4s had notches to locate the Tru-grip perpendicular to the sheet good.

Real slick home made jig. Probably cost les than $200.

Once I get my shop moved, I plan to build one!

Regards,
M.J.

Dar Lounsbury
04-08-2004, 5:20 PM
I have a Safetycut SR-5U version of the one you are looking at. With the upgrades, mine is almost the same as the 3400. I use it mostly to make large panels manageable but the router is great for dados.
I have added the aluminum rollers, mid fence and stop system. Air clamps would be nice but I have not added them....yet. I have found this to be a most useful addition to my shop, you will enjoy it.

Dar

Mark Bachler
04-10-2004, 11:56 AM
I picked it up on Thursday. Saftey Cut quoted me $6855 for a new one w/ the same features. Paid the $1800 with no problem. The one we had at work was really handy. I put a plunge router base on the PC and made a plexi base for it so I could see better for set up. Probably do the same to this one. "Oh Boy New Toy"

Adolph Hofmann
09-18-2011, 4:54 PM
Greetings, Mike Johnson

Did you ever build the jig described below: I did, but I didn't use it all that much. I'm wondering if you saw this in Fine Woodworking. I'll bet you did. I thought that the author was Lon Schleining, but I'm not sure. If you have any memory of the source of this article, I'd appreciate it. I'm going to try to get rid of this thing, which worked fine, but used a lot of wall space.

Thanks.

Art Hofmann
Santa Rosa, CA

Guys, if you want the low budget approach...

I saw a cool home-made jig using a cheap hollow-core door, a couple of 2x4's and a Tru-grip with a router mounted on a UHMW placque.

The door was mounted, on hinges, horizontally to the wall and a 2x4 was mounted to the bottom edge of the door. There was a folding leg that would prop the door at an angle when in use(and allow it to lay flat when not). Sheet goods would sit on the ledge created by the 2x4 and the Tru grip would then be laid on top of it to work as the guide for the router.

I can't remember exactly how the upper 2x4 was attached, because it would work with a 4' wide sheet, and doors are 36"....but both the upper and lower 2x4s had notches to locate the Tru-grip perpendicular to the sheet good.

Real slick home made jig. Probably cost les than $200.

Once I get my shop moved, I plan to build one!

Regards,
M.J.