PDA

View Full Version : Is this Black Birch?

Bob Hallowell
05-18-2008, 6:53 PM
I have been gathering next year's firewood most from across the road as the power company cut a bunch, Most was maple and I had been waiting to find some curly as I was spilting. I finally found some but I don't think it is maple the wood looks like maple but the bark is different it has some red and the smaller peices have some of the veritcal raises on it that the birch tree has typicaly has. I live in western Pa and I think this is flamed Black or Cherry birch. What do you guys think. I have 2 peices that are about 15" in dia. and smaller ones. I need to go back and look for some bigger stuff. I have a NE bowl roughed out allready.

Bob

Phil St.Germain
05-18-2008, 7:59 PM
Bob,

The last picture sure looks like some of the black birch that I have. The first two look more like maple. Does the birch smell like licorice when you work it? I find it very easy to work when green and very stable to dry, though the grain is very simple and rather bland.

Phil

Bob Hallowell
05-18-2008, 10:08 PM
Paul,
It's all from the same tree, and with all the curl I think it will be stunning when finished. You can't see much uf the curl but when I split most the other wood it's smooth this is a splintery mess from the curl
Bob

Russ Sears
05-19-2008, 2:10 PM
That looks like Sweet Birch to me but I think Black Birch is just another common name for the same tree. Any chance of seeing one of the vegetative buds at the end of a twig? Birch has long, pointy buds. I'm not sure if they are visible this time of year on a live tree though since they are leafing out.

Bob Hallowell
05-19-2008, 2:15 PM
Russ,
It was cut down 3 months ago, so no leaves and no buds.

Bob