PDA

View Full Version : New "old" jointer. Motor starter?

Mike DeHart
05-18-2008, 5:15 PM
Finally added a jointer to the tool collection. It's an old "Duro" a company i'd not heard of. It's benchotp size, but the jointer weighs enough that I had to have help getting into the basement. The beds and fence are virtually rust free (just a couple spots that cleaned up easily). The stand it was on was trash and I finally completed my 2x tool stand today.

One problem I have not fixed yet is the electrical. The machine ran when I went to pick it up, but the wires going into the switch box were not clamped off and looked ragged. Shouldn't be a problem to rewire, Mike thinks to himself before buying. Well, in the process of mounting the motor I pulled a wire out. No problem, it's just a switch. Wrong, it's a manual motor starter (cutler hammer bulletin 9115 to be specific) which is something I had not run into before. I pulled out the ohm meter and it checks out like a switch, but it refers to 3 phase in the notes on the inside. There are 3 sets of "connectors" inside. Can I just hook up the black to each side of the starter and connect the whites and grounds in wire nuts (they were like that originally)?

Thanks,
Mike

and for those who need proof:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2030/2503346216_6196623f11.jpg?v=0