PDA

View Full Version : Replacement windows.

C Scott McDonald
05-18-2008, 4:35 PM
Hi Folks,

I was wondering if there are replacement windows out there that do not require removing trim and siding on the exterior to fit in? I live in a town home complex so there are a lot of rules on what can and cannot be done. These where built in 1984 and the windows are all metal "sliders". I have to get sliders to match the rest of the units but I can use white instead for the color.

I went to the big blue store and the guy there was zero help.

Any advice would help.

Thanks,
Scott

Von Bickley
05-18-2008, 5:41 PM
The replacement windows that I helped put in one time went in from inside the house. We just pulled off the window stop, pulled out the old window, put in the new, and put the window stop back on.

Hope this helps....:)

Ken Fitzgerald
05-18-2008, 5:51 PM
Scott,

I've seen some contractors replace windows without removing the trim. Basically they took a cs and cut the old window out; leaving the nailing flange in place. They cut the nailing flange off the replacement windows and ran screws through the sides of the metal window frame into the wood frame. Then they caulked the gaps and installed the windows into the metal frame. These were sliders.

When I replaced mine, I removed the trim, removed the window and frame. Installed the new window and then reinstalled thetrim.

In my opinion, you don't get as tight a seal using the method the contractor used on my neighbor's house.

C Scott McDonald
05-18-2008, 7:28 PM
Thanks folks,

I really dont want to mess with taking the trim off outside. I realize this isnt the best way, but I dont want to open a can of worms with the trim breaking and all that stuff.

These are currently single pane windows that I cant even get half of them to open any more. It is so expensive to have "professional" installation that it almost makes it out of reach. I have a smaller 18x30 window I think I will try practicing on to see how it goes.

I will report back if I have success.

Thanks,
Scott

Ben Grunow
05-18-2008, 8:00 PM
I have replaced many windows and the best units, by far, are the Marvin Tilt Packs. A good lumber yard will be able to order them for you.

They are only for double hung windows though as far as I know.

Dan Mages
05-19-2008, 7:43 AM
I had inserts done at my old house in Illinois. They simply removed the old sashes, removed the outside stops from the frame, and slid the new window into place. They were made by Renewal by Andersen and are top notch quality. I suggest you give them a call.

Dan

Anthony Whitesell
05-23-2008, 3:48 PM
If you are still looking for replacement windows check out Windsor Windows.

When I was replacing the windows in my house I found three styles of windows.
1. Replacement windows - remove the stops and sashes, leave the old casing and sill and drop in the new sashes and psyudo casing.
2. New construction windows - the ones for vinyl siding come with an integrated J-channel for butting the siding to the windows. Hence the new construction part, if you're not also doing siding at the same time then the gap between the window and pre-existing J channel must be filled.
3. Wood and wood-like windows - The wood frame windows can be used in either new or old construction and come with the trim integrated. Obviously wood windows have known issues (rot, repainting, etc). That's where I found Windsor Windows. Cellulose PVC/vinyl windows that are built and install like wood windows.

I did 8 double hung windows (7 units) for 25% of what Penguin/Statewide Windows and NuPro wanted for their replacement windows installed.

Rich Engelhardt
05-24-2008, 6:57 AM
Hello,

I went to the big blue store and the guy there was zero help.

Go to the big orange store.
They carry American Craftsman - (Anderson).
Take a look online @ Homedepot dot com for an idea of sizes and prices.
Replacement windows do not require the removal of siding, trim or even storm windows if you have them.

Rick Potter
05-25-2008, 3:16 AM
I don't know if this is exactly what Von was talking about in his reply, but I replaced sliders in my old house. I went to a local window manufacturer, who turned out to be the one who manufactured the original windows for my housing tract.

They made new panels which slid right into the old frames. The double panes on one side protruded in, and on the other side, out, so the windows could still open using the tracks for the single pane. They told me these were not quite as good as new double pane windows, as they only had room for a 3/8" air gap, where new ones are 1/2" or more.

They worked great, and we could tell the difference in heat loss.

Rick Potter

PS: If you decide to keep your original windows and make them open better, there is usually an extra set of rollers on the top side of the sliders. Switch them with the lower rollers, which sound like they are flat spotted, clean the tracks, and you will probably get good results.