PDA

View Full Version : Latest pen

Steve Busey
05-18-2008, 2:53 PM
Been dabbling in pens over the last month - this is 4th overall, 1st Euro style. Made from Bethlehem olivewood, for a friend at work who's retiring next week and planning to spend more time at church and on mission trips. Finished with friction polish, waxed & buffed.

Sorry for the bright red background - I don't have a photo tent yet, so threw it on a comforter my daughter left lying in the family room.

88824 88825

robert hainstock
05-18-2008, 3:39 PM
The pen looks good to me. You might look at your mouse pad, as a less colorful background, (what I use for pens). Also take a look at woodturnerruss.com and check out his video on CA finish for pens. I went from three day or longer finishing time, to twenty mins. and a buff. :)
Bob

Steve Schlumpf
05-18-2008, 4:31 PM
Steve - very nice looking pen! It's going to make a great gift! Nice work!

Mark Hix
05-18-2008, 4:34 PM
It is a nice looking pen. I am certain he will appreciate it. I like olivewood for pens. My first Euro was a disaster! The friction polish is pretty but does not hold up well. I switched to CA for most of my pens and have never looked back.

Steve Busey
05-18-2008, 8:25 PM
My first Euro was a disaster! The friction polish is pretty but does not hold up well. I switched to CA...

My first CA was a disaster. I need to take another look at some videos. But for short notice, I knew the friction polish would go on well. I haven't had one with that finish long enough to know how long it will hold up.

So much to learn, so little time....

Bernie Weishapl
05-18-2008, 8:48 PM
Great looking pen Steve. Yep CA takes a little getting used to. But keep at it. It will come.