PDA

View Full Version : Two more Segmented Bowls

Doug Reesor
05-18-2008, 2:51 PM
I am having fun collecting old pallets at work from the trash and converting them into something new. The first 2 pictures are a bowl I made from 3 different pieces of Mahogany that I found with distinctly different colors (10" Dia x 4"). So far, I have only oiled the bowl, but am thinking of some varnish to finish it off. The black spots are old nail holes.

The other bowl is cherry and walnut (10" x 3.5"). It's finished oil and then polished and a top layer of Carnuba wax.

Doug

Just love those bits and pieces:D

Robert McGowen
05-18-2008, 3:40 PM
I really like the cherry and walnut bowl. You seem to have the bottom of the bowls done very well. Much nicer than a solid piece for the bottom. Good job!

Bruce Pennell
05-18-2008, 4:23 PM
Doug very nice job, the nail holes add texture, its great using found/free wood. I like your bottom treatment, very nice. Lately for finish I seem to be leaning toward sanding sealer, and Deft spray. Both dry quickly, beal buff after a week or two depending on how many coats I put on. I keep trying different stuff, tung oil, danish oil, but find I like the clear look of Deft.

Steve Schlumpf
05-18-2008, 4:46 PM
Doug - nice designs on both of your bowls! People must be amazed that you can make something so nice out of old pallets! Keep up the good work - looking forward to seeing more!

Dennis Puskar
05-18-2008, 9:56 PM
Great looking bowls made from trash.

Dennis

Bernie Weishapl
05-18-2008, 10:12 PM
Great looking bowls Doug. I like the cherry/walnut.

Richard Madison
05-18-2008, 11:40 PM
Doug,
Ditto what Robert and Steve said. Another member of recycle turners anonymous, those of us who try to use wood that would otherwise be burned or landfilled.

And good job on those bottom pieces! Very difficult to get perfect alignment at the center. Usually just drill and plug.

Art kraft
05-19-2008, 12:02 AM
Nice work Doug keep it coming. Isn't it something how they will charge $7 bd' for cherry and think nothing of using 7" cherry bds for the pallet. I wonder if they do that just to bug us. I found one with coco bolo in it.

Bill Wyko
05-19-2008, 3:21 AM
Good job Doug. Fun isn't it?:D

Paul Engle
05-19-2008, 9:42 AM
Very nice work indeed and .... yep the addict group grows ....:D

curtis rosche
05-19-2008, 11:21 AM
pallets are amazing wood some times, we had a kid that made a large gun cabinet from one, the oak was all twisted grain and it was marbles from that golden oak color to white