PDA

View Full Version : Woodturning... The best medication?

Brian Brown
05-18-2008, 2:13 PM
So the last time I went to the doctor, he said I should monitor my blood pressure periodically. Yesterday I turned all afternoon. Today my blood pressure is lower than it has ever been. :) So do you think I should turn my lathe, tool and wood reciepts into the insurance company to be reimbursed like a prescription? If they paid me, it would sure make those trips to woodcraft a lot easier to pay for. :D Just wishful thinking. At least this very expensive hobby may keep me from havin a stroke. That's what I tell SWMBO anyway.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-18-2008, 2:51 PM
Once again my man Brian has proven my theory. Turning exotics has the same effect as smoking dope, or drinking beer or wine!:eek::rolleyes::D

Richard M. Wolfe
05-18-2008, 3:24 PM
Brian, maybe you should go on disability....and you know what the treatment will be. Check to see if your insurance covers bowl blanks. :D

Brian Brown
05-18-2008, 3:28 PM
Anyone who has seen my turning technique calls it a disability! :D

robert hainstock
05-18-2008, 3:52 PM
Gee Brian, I seem to rememeber a couple of nice posts of yours. I'vee always figured any way I can chew, gnaw, scrape oor tear the unwanted portion of the wood off to get it to look like I want it, is OK. All the fancy cuts and tools just make it easier to achieve the goal. My BP is the lowest since I started turning again, that it has been in thirty years. Maybe you should get your Ins. Co. to fund a study.:):):):):)
Bob

Bruce Pennell
05-18-2008, 4:15 PM
It's Zen like.......more meditation than medication......Bruce
It does amaze you when you forget about all the daily B.S. and think only of the wood, shape, feel, tool placement, ect... how all the stress leaves your body. I don't think I've ever not slept well after a few hours in the shop turning, best sleep/ relaxing medicine God ever created.

Steve Schlumpf
05-18-2008, 4:43 PM
I have to agree with you Brian that woodturning reduces stress! It's great to have a place where you can escape and focus on something that is really fun to do - and then when you're done you actually have something to show for your efforts!

Glad to hear your blood pressure is improving!

Bernie Weishapl
05-18-2008, 4:46 PM
Yep works good. They have taken me off one of my med's and if it keeps going down they may take me off the other.

Curt Fuller
05-18-2008, 6:39 PM
Please, don't even mention it to your health insurance company! Can you imagine what it wood do to the cost of lathes, wood, and gouges. Especially when you had to get a prescription for the really good wood.

But I agree, turning is good for the body and the soul.

Jim Becker
05-18-2008, 9:30 PM
Stress reduction will generally also help with blood pressure...turning can very much be a stress reducer!

Donn Morris
05-18-2008, 10:08 PM
So the last time I went to the doctor, he said I should monitor my blood pressure periodically. Yesterday I turned all afternoon. Today my blood pressure is lower than it has ever been. :) So do you think I should turn my lathe, tool and wood reciepts into the insurance company to be reimbursed like a prescription? If they paid me, it would sure make those trips to woodcraft a lot easier to pay for. :D Just wishful thinking. At least this very expensive hobby may keep me from havin a stroke. That's what I tell SWMBO anyway.
My two daughters each won tickets to Bandimier Speed Way here in Denver. Its a drag strip. They had street mods, dragsters, top fuelers and 6 turbines. We had a ball. We walked past the pits and saw all the rigs that pull those cars around. We saw engines that put out 6000hp (hooked to a lathe, that would turn one big bowl!)

Anyway, after looking at all the engines and tiers and trucks a fuel, turning suddenly looked like a very affordable hobby!

Richard Madison
05-18-2008, 11:45 PM
Cheaper than a bass boat (if you don't include cost of new shop building).

curtis rosche
05-19-2008, 11:19 AM
maybe you could get them to fund a project to see the effects of rare and exspencive woods on peoples health, like snakewood

Scott Hubl
05-19-2008, 5:05 PM
With 4 kids in ages from 6 years old up to 21 ( That I LOVE Dearly) getting out of the house and into MY shop is RELAXING.:D

Dennis Puskar
05-19-2008, 10:08 PM
I enjoy turning more than flat work but I do more flat work . Both types are very relaxing, don't know if it does anything for my BP but I love it.

Dennis