PDA

View Full Version : How do I assemble the 1/4" collet for Milwaukee 5625 router?

Jim Broestler
05-18-2008, 1:38 PM
Just broke one. Now I need to go to Amazon and get another, so while I'm waiting for it to arrive, can someone tell me the best way to insert the collet in the mounting nut without specialized tools - and the least risk of breaking another one at $20 a pop?

Thanks.

Jason Beam
05-18-2008, 2:27 PM
My thought would be to stick it in the router and tighten the nut on it till it POPs into place.

What did you do that caused it to break?

Jim Broestler
05-18-2008, 3:52 PM
At the risk of massive embarrassment, I tried driving it in with a hammer.

I work in steel industry. We do everything with hammers and torches. Sometimes it's hard to get out of that mindset, I guess.

Jason Beam
05-18-2008, 5:54 PM
Doh!! I can relate!

I should have phrased my question better because i really just wanted to make sure the advice i gave wasn't prone to breaking collet inserts! :P

glenn bradley
05-18-2008, 6:10 PM
The instructions in the manual worked on all three of mine:

Jim Knishka
05-18-2008, 6:32 PM
I have an older Milwaukee, and as Glen shows put the small end on a hard flat surface (I use my table saw) and give it a brisk pop with the heel of your hand. If you hit a glancing blow you may have to chase the collet or the collar around the shop but that's about the only risk.

Brian Ross
05-18-2008, 7:31 PM
Just purchased a 1/2 collet and Nut for the same router.Squeezed mine between my fingers and the collet just popped into place.

Brian

Jim Broestler
05-18-2008, 9:39 PM
Didn't get those instructions when I bought the collet, so thanks.

J. Greg Jones
05-19-2008, 5:51 AM
Didn't get those instructions when I bought the collet, so thanks.

Jim, if you need a hard copy you can find the instructions in the Tool Assembly section of the 5625's manual.